Aquamarine Crystal Overview
Aquamarine is a name used for varieties of the mineral beryl that have a blue or greenish-blue color. It has the chemical formula Be3Al2Si6O18 and is a hexagonal crystal.
It has been used as a gem for thousands of years. It’s found in many places worldwide and is often used in jewelry. This article will take a look into the properties, uses, and meanings of the Aquamarine crystal.
What Is Aquamarine?
Aquamarine is a variety of beryl, typically greenish blue, with excellent viability as jewelry.
Iron impurities cause variation in color. It’s usually a pale blue but also in green, yellow, and white gold varieties.
It is the birthstone for those born in March.
What Does The Word Aquamarine Mean (Etymology)?
Aquamarine comes from the Latin words “aqua” (meaning water) and “marina” (meaning sea). Together the word translates as “the color of the sea.” It is a beautiful blue-green color that is often used to describe the ocean, as well as the gemstone itself.
Aquamarine Crystal Appearance
The color of Aquamarine crystal can range from blue-green to greenish blue to deep blue. The stone is usually transparent, though it may have a cloudy appearance. It has a vitreous luster that makes it appear glossy and smooth.
Aquamarine crystals often have inclusions, which may be visible with a magnifying glass or microscope. Most natural specimens form irregularly shaped liquid droplets.
It has a hardness of 7.5 on the Mohs scale. It’s primarily in greenish-blue hues with white and gray streaks caused by iron impurities in the stone.
Physical Properties Of The Aquamarine Crystal
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||7.5 to 8|
|Refractive Index||1.570 to 1.592|
|Specific Gravity||2.66 to 2.80|
How To Tell If The Aquamarine Crystal Is Real?
- For accurate gemstone identification, start by using the hardness test. This stone has a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale, which means it’s extremely difficult to scratch with any other gemstone or substance. A diamond tester can also accurately read its actual carat weight.
- You can also test the gemstone’s durability by placing it under hot water; it’s real if it doesn’t change color or lose its luster.
- The most common way to spot a fake aquamarine stone is by looking at its color. This stone’s color should always be blue and transparent and shouldn’t have any brown or green hues. If the stone has any hints of brown or green coloring in it, then it’s probably not real.
- The best way to test an aquamarine’s authenticity is by using a refractometer. This handheld device will give you an accurate reading of the gemstone’s refraction, which is one of its defining characteristics.
- If the stone has a certificate from the international gem society, it is most likely a real specimen.
Sublime radiance: James Allen’s 14K Gold Halo Aquamarine & Diamond Earrings. White gold elegance, aquamarine’s allure, and diamond brilliance.
Aquamarine Crystal Value
Price Per Carat :
Aquamarine value price per carat is dependent on many factors. The critical factors to consider when determining the price of this gem are its color, clarity, and size. Aquamarine value price per carat ranges from $300 to $600, depending on these factors.
The gem quality of Aquamarine crystal depends on all four Cs—color, cut (or shape), clarity, and carat weight.
- Color: The higher the saturation, or intensity, of blue in a stone (the more blue there is relative to other colors), the better quality and value it has. That’s why the most valuable aquamarine crystals are those that are a very intense blue.
- Clarity: The more transparent an aquamarine crystal is, the higher its value. This means it has fewer inclusions and flaws than one with many visible or tiny fractures.
- Cut: Shape makes all the difference in appearance and value. Well-cut aquamarine gemstones have excellent brilliance (or fire) and proportionate dimensions for their carat weight. The ideal cut gem is an emerald cut gem. This type of shape maximizes light reflection and makes the gemstone look larger than it is.
- Carat size: As with all other gems, this stone’s value increases as its size grows. Aquamarine stone has a wide range of carat weights, which makes it possible to find one in any size.
If all aquamarine quality factors are met on sizable fashioned gems, you have a winner on your hands.
Aquamarine Crystal Chakra Connection
Aquamarine stone is linked to the Throat Chakra, which deals with communication and self-expression.
It can help you speak your truth without fear or hesitation and also supports healthy communication with others. In addition, it allows you to become more aware of your inner voice and encourages you to listen more closely to its guidance.
The second name for the throat chakra is Vishuddha, which means “pure.” It is associated with blue color and is located at the base of your neck, behind the thyroid gland. The Throat Chakra is associated with communication on all levels: physical, emotional, and spiritual.
Aquamarine stone can help you to speak your mind and find the courage to be who you are. It allows you to overcome fears that stop you from speaking out loud, especially fears of rejection or ridicule.
Aquamarine Crystal Meaning And Uses
- It is associated with the Throat chakra, which is one of seven chakras in the human body. The throat chakra is linked with communication, self-expression, and creativity.
- It also governs our ability to be emotionally honest and open about ourselves.
- It is a stone of courage and protection. It is believed to be a very protective stone, especially for sailors and those who travel often.
- It is said to help bring peace and calm during stress or worry.
- It is a stone that helps to soothe the Throat, mouth, and eyes. One can use it to alleviate pain associated with these areas.
- It is also believed to help relieve stress-related disorders such as depression or anxiety because of its calming effect on the mind.
- This is a stone of creativity. It is believed to enhance our ability to think clearly and make good decisions.
- It also helps us connect with our intuition and encourages us to trust ourselves more.
Is The Aquamarine Crystal a birthstone?
Yes! Aquamarine is the birthstone of the people born in March. It is associated with the astrological sign of Pisces, and it’s said that the ocean symbolizes this water element. When worn, the Aquamarine stone promotes empathy and understanding. It helps you to stay calm in volatile situations.
Unveil elegance: James Allen’s 14K Gold Diamond Halo Aquamarine Necklace. Allure meets brilliance in white gold.
How To Take Care Of Aquamarine Crystal Jewelry?
- To clean an aquamarine stone, use a soft brush (preferably one made for cleaning jewelry), mild detergent, and lukewarm water.
- Never use silver cleaning solutions or ultrasonic cleaners on your jewelry because they can damage its finish.
- Avoid abrupt temperature changes, steam, and exposure to cosmetics, hairsprays, or household chemicals.
- Burn white sage to remove any excess negative energy trapped in your jewelry. You can also cleanse crystal jewelry with white sage or burning incense and smudge it with a feather. Place the jeweled ornament in a bowl of water mixed with sea salt and leave overnight to clear any negative energy.
- It is best to avoid Enzyme cleaners as they are known to cause allergic reactions.
- You can protect your aquamarine gemstones by storing them in a soft jewelry box.
- Aquamarine stones are not affected by exposure to light. However, heat can alter the color of other gemstones—so keep these gemstones away from heated environments.
Which Gemstones Go Best With The Aquamarine Crystal?
This gemstone is an excellent stone to wear alone or in combination with other gemstones. It has a calming effect, so it works well with other calming gemstones like Apatite and Larimar.
It also makes a beautiful a center stone with the earth stones Agate, Jasper, and Garnet.
Other water stones, like Moonstone and Blue Agate, are also ideal companions.
What Is The Aquamarine Crystal Good For?
Aquamarine is a stone of courage, protection, and healing. It has been used for centuries to calm fears and worries, as well as to help ease emotional pain. It’s also said that these stones can protect against negative energy.
It is associated with communication, creativity, and the throat chakra, which is why it’s an excellent stone for writers, poets, and teachers. It’s also said to help alleviate stress and anxiety by bringing calmness and relaxation.
What Are The Healing Properties Of The Aquamarine Crystal?
Aquamarine is a stone of the sea, which is why it’s often used in water rituals. It’s believed to bring calmness, peace, and tranquility to those who wear it. The calming effect of Aquamarine can also be used to help heal emotional pain and trauma by bringing forth positive memories.
This stone is said to be a powerful healer, which is why many people use it to treat physical ailments such as sore throat and inflammation. In addition, it’s believed that the Aquamarine crystal can boost the immune system, helping to fight off viruses and bacteria.
Is The Aquamarine Crystal heat treated?
Yes, it is often heat-treated. This treatment can help improve the stone’s clarity and give it a brilliant shine. It also makes it more durable so people can wear it without worrying about damaging it.
What does The Aquamarine Crystal symbolize?
It symbolizes youth, hope, and purity. It’s also believed to promote happiness and calmness. Therefore, Aquamarine is often used in jewelry to represent the sea and its calming effect.