Blue Zircon Overview
Blue Zircon is a rare, semi-precious gemstone that has many spiritual properties. The stone is mined in Sri Lanka, and it’s been used for centuries as a talisman to bring good fortune and prosperity.
The Blue Zirconium gemstone is a beautiful addition to any collection. Their blue color, as well as their many spiritual properties, make them the perfect choice for anyone who enjoys collecting gemstones. This article details the properties, meanings, and uses of the Blue Zircon stone.
What is Blue Zircon?
Zircon is a mineral belonging to the nesosilicates group and serves as an essential source for zirconium. The chemical name for Blue Zircon is Zirconium(IV) Silicate, and its chemical formula is Zr(SiO4). Zircon, a mineral that crystallizes from silicate melts, has high concentrations of “high field strength” elements such as hafnium.
Zircon crystallizes in the tetragonal crystal system. Zircon is naturally found in many colors, including colorless, yellow-golden, red, blue, and brown. The blue variety of Zircon is known as Blue Zircon. It contains a combination of alternating silica tetrahedrons (silicon ions in fourfold coordination with oxygen) and zirconium ion groups.
Zircons can be heated to change their color. For example, brown zircons are transformed into blue Zircon by heating them at a temperature between 800-1000°C. In addition, it is relatively rigid and chemically stable, so it withstands weathering well.
What is the origin of the name Blue Zircon?
The name contains the words “blue” and “zircon.” The word “blue” refers to the stone’s color. The English word “zircon” derives from Zirkon, originally German.
What are some other names for It?
Blue Zircon is more commonly known as Starlite.
Blue Zircon is a standard accessory to many igneous rocks but is particularly abundant in granite and felsic (silicate) igneous rocks. Because of its hardness and chemical inertness, Zircon persists in sedimentary deposits—and is a common constituent of most sands. In addition, Zircon can be found as a trace mineral in ultrapotassic intrusive rocks, such as kimberlites and lamprophyres—and less commonly, carbonatites.
Where Is It found?
Blue Zircon, also called Starlite, is mainly mined in Sabaragamuwa Province of Sri Lanka. Other forms of Zircon are found in various countries throughout the world, including Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, The United States Of America, Germany, Brazil, Norway, Tanzania, Burma, Madagascar, etc.
What are the physical properties of Blue Zircon?
Blue Zircon has the following properties:
|Chemical name||Zirconium(IV) Silicate|
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||6.5 – 7.5|
|Refractive Index||1.790 – 2.015|
|Specific Gravity||3.91 – 4.73|
Large crystals are rare, and their average size in granite rocks is about 0.1–0.3 mm (0.0039–0.0118 inches). However, they can also grow to sizes of several centimeters—primarily when found in mafic pegmatites or carbonatites.
Because of the high concentrations of uranium and thorium in zircons, a metamictization process may occur. This internal radiation damage partially disrupts the crystal structure of Zircon and partly explains why its properties are so variable.
As Zircon is subjected to internal radiation damage, its density decreases, and the crystal structure becomes compromised. This results in a change of color as well. This is one of the reasons for the Blue color. The other reason for the Blue color is heat treatment at 800-1000°C of common brown Zircon. The heat-treated Blue Zircon is also known as Starlite.
The Blue Zircon gemstone exhibits a vitreous to adamantine luster (when polished) and tends to become greasy when metamict.
Cost and Value
Blue Zircon is the most popular and desirable group of the Zircon family of minerals; they fetch a higher price. Fine saturated blues of 10 carats or more are typical $300 to $400/Ct, while high-quality stones in the 5-10 carat range sell for about $200-$300.
The cost depends on the following factors:
- Size: The cost of a stone increases as the size of the gem increases since larger stones are more difficult to find and cut than smaller ones.
- Quality: A gemstone’s number of inclusions and imperfections indicates its quality. Clarity is also crucial when evaluating the worthiness of Blue Zircon stones. A clear stone will cost more than one with many inclusions.
- Color: The color of the Blue Zircon affects its price. The more vibrant and intense the shade, the higher value it has. Also, certain shades are rarer than others, affecting overall value. For example, Darker blues are more occasional and therefore more expensive than lighter ones.
- Cut: The cut of a gemstone is just as important as its other qualities. Cut can significantly affect the value and appearance of a stone, sometimes making it worth hundreds or thousands more than similar pieces with comparable color, clarity, and carat weight.
How to tell if it Is genuine or not?
Synthetic blue zircons have been created in laboratories, but they are only of scientific interest and are never used to make jewelry.
The following points should be noted to tell whether the Blue Zircon is real or not:
- Color: The color of the Blue Zircon should be uniform and bright. If the color is not consistent, it may indicate that the stone has been dyed or some other treatment has been performed.
- Acetone Test: Do an acetone test. Soak in acetone for a few minutes to see if the color comes off. If it does, then it’s likely fake.
- Check for inclusions: Inclusions are natural flaws in the rock, even in natural Blue Zircon stones. If you look closely at your gemstone, you should be able to find them—small and irregularly shaped. If there aren’t any irregularities of this kind, it’s a fake.
- Check for weight: Check the weight of your Blue Zircon. If it’s too light, then it may be fake.
- Scratch Test: Do a scratch test. Kitchen knives shouldn’t leave a mark on hard stones with a rating of 6-7 or higher. Zircon has a Mohs hardness of 7 and does not have cleavage.
Which Chakra Does It Symbolize?
Blue Zircon is a natural stone associated with the Third-Eye Chakra. This stone is said to help you connect with higher forces and your spirit guides, making it an excellent choice for meditations or other spiritual work.
Blue Zircon is the stone of the Throat Chakra. It is also said to help overcome shyness and make clear communication possible. In addition, Blue Zircon can help you speak up for yourself without fear or hesitation.
Where are the abovementioned Chakras located?
The third eye chakra is associated with the color indigo, located between your eyebrows. It’s also known as the sixth Chakra or brow chakra. This Chakra helps you see things clearly and understand their meaning. It’s a psychic center allows you to have visions of the future or past, travel into other dimensions, and communicate telepathically with others.
The Throat Chakra is also known as “Vishuddhi” in Sanskrit, which means “purification.” This Chakra is located at the base of your throat, which connects with your shoulders and arms.
Which Birthstone Is It?
Natural Zircon is considered the December birthstone. Its properties are amplified this month, making it the perfect match for anyone born in the last month of the year.
What does Blue Zircon Symbolize?
It symbolizes the following:
- Communication: Blue Zircon is the crystal for communication. It helps you speak up for yourself without fear or hesitation. This stone can be beneficial if you are shy or introverted and need to make yourself heard in a crowd. It also makes clear communication possible, whether speaking with others one-on-one or addressing a large group of people.
- Love: Blue Zircon is the crystal for love. It helps you find your soulmate, strengthen existing relationships and heal broken ones. It can also be used to attract new love into your life. This stone is beneficial if you have been unlucky in love or have been hurt by past partners. It will help restore trust in others and encourage them to treat you with respect and kindness.
- Hope: Blue Zircon is a stone of hope and idealism. It can help you to see the good in the world, even when it seems like there’s not much left. It also allows you to hold fast to your dreams, no matter how farfetched they may seem. If you are hopeless or depressed, It can help lift those feelings away and give you hope for the future.
- Faithfulness: This stone is a symbol of commitment. It will help you to remain faithful in your relationships, whether that means being faithful to one partner or maintaining fidelity to your ideals. Blue Zircon will also help you to forgive those who have wronged you and move on from past hurts.
- Self-love: This stone is a symbol of self-love. It will help you to accept yourself as you are and be kind to yourself, even when everything seems to be going wrong. Blue Zircon can also help you to accept others for who they are and not judge them by their flaws or shortcomings.
What are the uses of Blue Zircon?
It has the following uses:
- This stone is used to promote the self-confidence and inner strength of the wearer. It is a perfect stone for people who have suffered from depression or other mental health issues. Blue Zircon can also boost your motivation and help you to achieve your goals.
- Blue Zircon helps to balance the left and right hemispheres of the brain, improving communication between them. This makes it helpful in treating learning disorders such as dyslexia.
- Blue Zircon is a good stone for healing and helping to heal others. It can also help you to work with your own pain and suffering, which may be helpful if you are a healer or counselor. It helps to alleviate feelings of grief, sorrow, or mourning by bringing joy into your life again.
- Blue Zircon can help you eliminate your life’s anger, resentment, and jealousy. It’s also helpful in dealing with feelings of isolation or loneliness. It is a good stone for treating depression. It can help you feel more optimistic about the future and give you a better outlook on life.
- Blue Zircon can help you clear your mind from clutter, which may be helpful if you want peace. It can also help you to focus on what’s essential in life and eliminate distractions that might otherwise take up too much of your time. It is a good stone for promoting positive change in your life. It can help you manifest wealth, abundance, love, or spiritual growth.
- Blue Zircon is a good stone for manifesting dreams and wishes. It can help you attract what you want into your life, whether money, love or anything else. It can also bring about positive changes in your life, like quitting smoking or losing weight.
- It can help you to eliminate bad habits and replace them with healthy ones. It can help you attract what you want into your life, whether money, love or anything else. Blue Zircon can also bring about positive changes in your life, like quitting smoking or losing weight.
How to clean Blue Zircon Jewelry?
Here are some steps to help your Blue Zircon jewelry retain its beauty.
- You can clean your Blue Zircon by running it under lukewarm water.
- Soak the stained area in warm water. Then scrub it gently with a soft toothbrush until all traces of the stain are gone.
- Polish the crystal with a microfiber cloth until it shines.
- Cleanse your stone using burning sage to remove any negativity absorbed, which can negatively impact the surroundings. There is no perfect method for cleansing stones; you’ll have to research and experiment with different ways at home until you find the best technique.
- There are various ways to recharge your amulet, including immersing it in moonlight or burying it underground. Give it at least six hours, but overnight is ideal.
Although most ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are safe, some precautions should be taken. For example, it’s best to keep Blue Zircon jewelry apart from other pieces so as not to damage its finish.
Is Blue Zircon valuable?
Blue Zircon is a valuable stone. It is not as expensive as precious stones, but it isn’t very cheap either. Most blue zircon gems are worth $75 per carat for 5 to 6-carat stones. Fancy shapes or better colors can fetch between $125 and 150 per carat, while top gem blues may go for as much as 200 a pop. Stones over 10 carats range from roughly 150 – 175 each depending on the size.
What other gemstones can go along with Blue Zircon?
Blue Zircon may be combined with Synthetic diamonds, white sapphire, Cubic Zirconia, Emerald, Ruby, or Tanzanite. It also looks beautiful when paired with other blue and light blue gems like lapis lazuli, Blue Topaz, Blue Spinel, Aquamarine, and Turquoise. When worn together, these colors make a striking statement piece.
Are there any side effects associated with Blue Zicron?
There are no known side effects associated with blue Zircon. However, you should be careful when handling minerals sourced from other countries.