Green Kyanite Stone Overview
The Green Kyanite stone is a rare variety of the Kyanite family that is famed for its beauty. It is the heart of many collections and is sought after by many.
This article will look into the details of the meanings, properties, and uses of the Green Kyanite stone.
What is Green Kyanite Stone?
Green Kyanite is the most beautiful variety of Kyanite. Its stunning visual appearance makes it the centerpiece of any collection. Many gemologists consider it the most affordable yet unique-looking stone on the open market.
Green Kyanite is related to the Heart chakra and symbolizes love and clarity. Kyanites are typically blue but sometimes occur in the rare green variety.
Kyanite is an aluminosilicate mineral that forms in aluminum-rich metamorphic pegmatites and also occurs as a component of sedimentary rock.
The green kyanite stone’s structure is a lattice of oxygen ions, with aluminum occupying 40% of the octahedral sites and silicon occupying 10% of the tetrahedral ones. The aluminum octahedra form chains along the length of the crystal, half of which are straight and half zigzag, with silica tetrahedra linking the chains together.
There is no direct linkage between silica tetrahedra, making green Kyanite a member of the nesosilicate class of silicate minerals.
Green Kyanite, a high-pressure polymorph of andalusite and sillimanite, indicates the presence of metamorphic rocks deep in the Earth’s crust.
What is the origin of the name Green Kyanite?
The Kyanite part of the name comes from the same origin as that of the word cyan, being derived from the Ancient Greek word κύανος. This is generally translated in English as kyanos or kuanos and means “dark blue.”
The Green part refers to the green color of the gemstone.
What are some other names used for Green Kyanite?
The Green Kyanite stone is also known by the following names:
- Green Cyanite
- Green Distene
- Green Disthene
Green Kyanite Stone Geological Occurrence
Green Kyanite is found in rocks such as biotite gneiss, mica schist, and hornfels – all of which are formed at high pressure during regional metamorphism on an aluminum-rich protolith.
The Green Kyanite stone is also found in granite and pegmatite rock formations, associated with quartz veins. It is rarely found in the eclogites of metamorphic rocks. Instead, it is seen as detrital grains in sedimentary rocks, although it tends to break down rapidly.
It is associated with staurolite, andalusite, sillimanite, talc—and other minerals.
What are the physical properties of The Green Kyanite Stone?
Green Kyanite has the following properties:
|Color||Light Green – Dark Green|
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||5.5 – 7|
|Refractive Index||1.71 – 1.73|
|Specific Gravity||3.55 – 3.70|
What is the typical appearance of The Green Kyanite Stone?
Kyanite’s elongated columnar crystals are a good indicator of the mineral.
It forms sprays of bladed crystals, but it is less commonly found as distinct euhedral (well-shaped) crystals: these are prized by collectors.
It has a perfect cleavage plane parallel to the long axis of the crystal and a second good cleavage plane at an angle of 79 degrees to the cleavage plane.
It has a lush green color along with a vitreous and pearly luster.
Green Kyanite Stone Cost and Value
Green kyanite jewelry typically costs about $50 per carat, but the gemstone’s value is contingent upon its clarity, cut, and color.
- Size: The cost of a stone increases as the size of the gem increases since larger stones are more difficult to find and cut than smaller ones. Stones larger than 4 inches or 100 mm are incredibly rare and valuable.
- Quality: A gemstone’s number of inclusions and imperfections indicates its quality. Clarity is also crucial when evaluating the worthiness of Green kyanite stones. A clear stone will cost more than one with many inclusions.
- Color: The color of the Green kyanite affects its price. The more vibrant and intense the shade, the higher value it has. Also, certain shades are rarer than others, affecting overall value. For example, Light greens are more occasional and, therefore, more expensive than dark ones.
- Cut: The cut of a gemstone is just as important as its other qualities. Cut can significantly affect the value and appearance of a stone, sometimes making it worth much more than similar-quality stones.
How to tell if the Green Kyanite Stone is genuine or not?
Some valuable tips to know to identify if your green Kyanite is authentic or not are given below:
- Anisotropic: The characteristic most useful in identifying Kyanite is its anisotropy. If one wants to check whether a specimen is Kyanite, verifying that it has two distinctly different hardness values on perpendicular axes is a key to identification. Thus, a steel needle will easily scratch a kyanite crystal parallel to its long axis. Still, the crystal is impervious to being marked by a steel needle perpendicular to the long axis.
- Color: The color of the green Kyanite should be uniform and bright. If the color is not consistent, it may indicate that the stone has been dyed or some other treatment has been performed.
- Acetone Test: Do an acetone test. Soak in acetone for a few minutes to see if the color comes off. If it does, then it’s likely fake.
- Check for inclusions: Inclusions are natural flaws in the rock, even in natural green kyanite stones. If you look closely at your gemstone, you should be able to find them—small and irregularly shaped. If there aren’t any irregularities of this kind, it’s a fake.
- Check for weight: Check the weight of your green Kyanite. If it’s too light, then it may be fake.
Green Kyanite Stone Chakra Connection
What chakra is associated with Green Kyanite?
The heart chakra is associated with green Kyanite. This stone can help you release old emotional attachments, especially those you’ve carried since childhood. It’s also a great physical healer—it can help balance your body’s pH levels and reduce inflammation.
Where is the heart chakra located?
The heart chakra is present between the breasts in the center of your chest. It’s associated with love, compassion, and emotional well-being.
What’s another name for the heart chakra?
The heart chakra is also known by the name “Anahata.”
What does The Green Kyanite Stone Symbolize?
Green kyanite symbolizes the following:
- Love: Green kyanite strongly connects with the heart chakra and is often used as a stone of love. Its energy helps you connect more deeply with yourself and others—it can bring out both positive and negative emotions so that you can work through them together.
- Healing and wellness: Kyanite is said to have healing properties that can be used on a physical, mental, and spiritual level. It’s often recommended for treating headaches, migraines, and other pain-related issues. It can also be beneficial for heartburn and indigestion. It is used in crystal healing.
- Release of old emotional attachments: Kyanite helps you get in touch with the root cause of your emotions and enables you to release old emotional attachments that no longer serve your highest good. It can also help you let go of negative beliefs and self-limiting thoughts holding you back from moving forward.
- Self-love and self-acceptance: Kyanite can help you feel more connected to yourself, leading to increased self-love and self-acceptance. It’s also used for balancing your emotions and creating an inner peace that allows you to move forward in life with a clear mind.
- Mental clarity: Kyanite is a powerful stone that can help you improve mental clarity and focus. It can also help with decision-making, as it helps bring together all the information in your mind.
- Calming anxiety: Kyanite can help calm anxiety and relieve stress. It’s a stone that promotes emotional balance and inner peace, which is why it’s often used as a meditation stone.
- Empowering: Kyanite is a powerful stone that can help you connect with your inner power. It’s a stone of empowerment because it helps bring out the best and makes you feel more confident and strong.
What are the uses of The Green Kyanite Stone?
Green Kyanite has the following uses:
- Green Kyanite is a great tool to help you learn how to accept change and make positive changes in your life. It is a stone of balance, bringing harmony and stability. Green Kyanite will help you realize that it is okay to change your mind, your opinion, or your life path at any time. Green Kyanite encourages creative intuition and promotes balance while assisting in expressing one’s desires.
- Green Kyanite continually opens communication channelsso that you can speak your Truth and Share your opinions without fear of being rejected or ridiculed. It is also an excellent stone to facilitate dialogue and cooperation between people in conflict. This crystal connects you to the healing, balancing energies of Earth, helping you all find common ground by listening to and understanding each other’s needs and desires.
- Green Kyanite is a spiritually uplifting stone, helping you to release old patterns of behavior and opening the heart to new possibilities. It helps build confidence and self-esteem. It can facilitate the expression of anger constructively rather than destructively and give you the courage to make necessary changes to heal old issues. It is also good for people with the Taurus and Aries zodiac as it negates the cons associated with them.
- It is often used to enhance psychic abilities and accelerate the development of skills such as clairvoyance and telepathy, particularly in cooperation with the Third Eye Chakra. The imprinting or recording of new information on the mind or body can be enhanced through this crystal. Green Kyanite bracelets may also be used for astral projection or as an aid for meditation, allowing deeper access to meditative states.
- Green Kyanite is associated with the heart chakra and helps open it to accept love and light. Green Kyanite necklace stabilizes those who are overly empathic, helping them figuratively “plugin” to themselves and experience the physical world better. It spiritually aligns the auric field, helping to remove blockages from the Heart Chakra and emotional body.
- Green Kyanite is a stone of synthesis and alignment. Kyanite earrings are thought to bring the ability to see clearly and more objectively, balancing Yin/Yang energies. A Green Kyanite pendant connects the Heart Chakra with the Throat Chakra, allowing one’s voice to be heard. It is considered a nurturing stone that assists in keeping one grounded while working through difficult situations.
How to clean Green Kyanite Stone Jewelry?
Some simple methods for cleaning Green kyanite Jewelry are listed below:
- 1. Take your jewelry and place it on a clean, soft cloth.
- 2. Use toothpaste on a toothbrush to gently scrub away any dirt or stains. Rinse well in warm water, then dry with a soft cloth or paper towel.
- 3. Mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a bowl, add your jewelry and let it soak for 30 minutes. Rinse well with warm water, then dry with a soft cloth or paper towel.
- 4. Use an old toothbrush and gently scrub away any dirt or stains on your jewelry. 6. Rub some alcohol onto a soft cloth and use this to clean the surface of the gemstone—this will keep it looking shiny!
- 5. Cleanse it using burning sage to remove any negativity absorbed, which can negatively impact the surroundings.
- 6. There are various ways to recharge your amulet, including immersing it in moonlight or burying it underground.
It’s essential to cleanse the Green Kyanite before using it—the process keeps you energized and helps keep negative energies at bay.
Green Kyanite should not be exposed to household chemicals or heat, which can damage it or change its color.
What is Green Kyanite suitable for?
Green Kyanite crystal works to activate the entire chakra column of your body, but it particularly resonates deeply with one’s heart.
Due to the effect of Green Kyanite, vital energy is channeled from Mother Earth and imbues your aura, which makes you more aware of your emotional needs. This can also help you develop the strength to let negativity move away from you.
Is Green Kyanite rare?
Green Kyanite is a rare stone of the Kyanite family belonging to the Alumino-silicate group of minerals.
Kyanite forms beautiful blades of crystalline structure and can sometimes form impressive clusters or masses of crystals. This stone occurs in many colors, with green being the rarest and sought-after.
What gemstones go well with Green Kyanite?
Kyanite works well with other stones dealing with communication issues, such as Blue Lace Agate, Blue Kyanite, Bloodstone, or Hematite, as it is a powerful grounding stone that can be used to help balance the chakras.
It is also known as a stone of communication, so it is often used in conjunction with Blue Calcite and Malachite when working on the Throat Chakra.
What are the negative impacts of Green Kyanite?
Kyanite can be used to help one connect with the higher self, which can sometimes make it difficult for someone to focus on their daily tasks.
It is also a powerful stone for meditation, so people may feel more sensitive or emotional after using this crystal. Green Kyanite gems should be paired with grounding stones to balance out its effects.