Smoky Quartz Crystal Overview
Like other quartz gems, the Smoky Quartz crystal is a silicon dioxide crystal. Its smoky color results from free silicon formed from the silicon dioxide by natural irradiation. Iron inclusions within the crystal cause deep brown or gray coloration.
Smoky Quartz was referred to as Cairngorm after the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland’s highlands, where it was found initially. This article will take a look into the properties, meanings, and uses of the Smoky Quartz crystal.
What Is Smoky Quartz?
Smoky Quartz crystal is a type of quartz characterized by its brownish color. The word “smoky” refers to how the stone looks when it’s held up to the light, which creates an effect that makes the stone look like smoke rising from within it.
Smoky Quartz is a popular stone for jewelry, but it’s also been used for centuries in other ways. For example, ancient cultures in China used this gemstone to make sunglasses.
The Chinese believed that this gem could protect the wearer from ghosts and evil spirits, so they made sunglasses out of it. These sunglasses were worn by people traveling or working outside at night because they believed they would help them see better in the dark. The Chinese also believed that wearing a Smoky Quartz crystal would help prevent eye diseases like glaucoma and cataracts.
Today, this stone can be used for many different purposes. For example, it has been said that wearing or carrying a Smoky Quartz crystal will bring clarity into your life. Additionally, if you need help finding a lost object or person nearby, placing one near where it might have gone missing will do just what you’re looking for!
Smoky Quartz crystal Appearance
- Smoky Quartz is a brownish-gray, translucent variety of quartz. It ranges from almost complete transparency to an almost opaque brownish-gray crystal.
- Some can also be black. Most specimens will show some degree of smoky or cloudy markings when viewed under magnification.
- The smoky color results from free silicon formed from the silicon dioxide by natural irradiation. Free silicon is a dark brown or black color, and it’s found in quartz crystal.
- Smoky Quartz is a type of quartz recognized for its beautiful color, ranging from dark gray to golden brown. However, it takes a lot of time for this type of Quartz to form naturally because it requires exposure to radiation for millions of years before looking like its current state.
- This stone is also known as smoky citrine and cairngorm because it resembles the yellowish-orange semi-precious stones of those names. However, it’s not actually either of those gems: it’s a type of quartz crystal!
- It’s not always easy to tell the difference between Cairngorm Quartz and other types of Quartz. However, a shiny surface is one way for you to distinguish smoky quartz from others.
Where Can You Find a Smoky Quartz crystal?
The name Cairngorm was given to Smoky Quartz because it was first found in the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland’s highlands. However, since then, no good crystals have been discovered there, and the mines have been shut down.
Smoky Quartz is widely available in nature and often appears in large transparent crystals that can be cut into large gemstones. You will find it in:
How To Tell If A Smoky Quartz Is Real?
Before you purchase any stone, it’s essential to know how to tell if it’s real. Quartz is one of the most common minerals on earth, making up about 12% of the crust in terms of volume. However, only a small percentage of Quartz is smoky, which makes it much harder to find than other types of clear or white Quartz.
To test whether or not your Smoky Quartz crystal is genuine, try the following:
Use a scratch test by making a small mark with a mineral that is lower on the Moh’s scale, such as glass or obsidian. A genuine Smoky Quartz crystal will be unaffected, while a fake crystal will get scratched.
If there are visible marks, this indicates that what you have might be glass or synthetic material instead of natural crystal with impurities included within its structure.
For the sunlight test, you will need to expose your smoky quartz crystal to direct sunlight for 24-36 hours.
Natural crystals will retain their color despite their exposure to sunlight. If the crystals start to fade and lose color, it is an indication that they are probably fake.
This test is used to ensure that a piece of smoky quartz is not just dyed glass. Place your crystal over a book or a page with words. Natural smoky quartz will not magnify the words. If the words appear slightly larger, you are likely in possession of a fake crystal.
An easy way to understand the physical properties of a gemstone is by using the Mohs scale. The scale was created by German mineralogist Friedrich Mohs in 1812 and it’s used to measure hardness based on the ability of one material to scratch another.
Smoky Quartz has a hardness between 7 and 7.5 on this scale—softer than topaz but harder than jasper or obsidian—and because it belongs in this range, it can be scratched with other stones that are also within its scope of hardness, including tourmaline, quartzite, and amethyst (all scoring 7-7.5).
|Chemical name||Silicon dioxide|
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||7|
Smoky Quartz Value
Smoky Quartz is considered a semi-precious stone, which means it’s not as valuable as precious stones like diamonds. However, it can still be quite valuable due to its rarity and excellent qualities.
The price per carat will depend on the size of your stone, how well it’s cut, and its quality.
Size: The size of your gemstone will have a direct impact on its value. Generally speaking, larger stones are more expensive than smaller ones; however, if they’re cut poorly, they can lose their value quickly!
For example, a one-inch long oval-shaped stone would cost $30-$50 per carat, while an 8mm round gem would cost $35-$60 per carat based on current prices at Midwest Gem & Mineral Society (MGMS).
Quality: Quality also plays a considerable role in determining the price point for this semi-precious stone.
For example: If you have two identical pieces of smoky Quartz, but one has been polished while the other hasn’t been touched yet, then only one might be worth hundreds more dollars than another just because it has more clarity (and therefore better color).
Smoky Quartz crystal Chakra Connection
It works well on the Root Chakra because it is connected to the earth element; it brings stability and grounding and increases one’s sense of self-worth and security. The Root Chakra is located at the base of your spine and is also called Muladhara.
Smoky Quartz also has a minor connection to the Solar Plexus Chakra.
The Smoky Quartz crystal is a powerful healer which can be used for healing on all levels. It aims to bring about balance and harmony by filtering out negative vibrations and replacing them with positive ones.
This crystal also helps you to feel safe when facing challenges or stressful situations in life by providing support during these times rather than running away from them. It provides an anchor that allows us to relax into our power while simultaneously remaining in control of our lives!
Smoky Quartz crystal Meaning And Uses
- Smoky quartz is often used in jewelry because of its gorgeous colors and patterns.
- In addition, it is an excellent stone for those interested in feng shui. Smoky quartz has beautiful metaphysical properties and can be used to stimulate the energy of your home or office, as well as protect against negative energy.
- Smoky quartz crystals have been used for centuries as healing stones and are said to purify the spirit, reduce stress, and help with depression.
- It is said that its healing properties may also help you with stress and anxiety relief, insomnia, and even addiction recovery.
- If you’re interested in using this crystal to help heal yourself or others (or want to add some beauty into your life), you might consider using it in jewelry form—but be sure to choose pieces made ethically!
- In terms of physical healing, the Smoky Quartz crystal is believed to treat hormonal imbalances, autoimmune disorders, respiratory problems like asthma and bronchitis, heart disease, depression, and anxiety—the list goes on.
- In addition, Smoky Quartz can help you get in touch with your emotions (especially those that are difficult to handle) by grounding yourself before meditating or going into meditation practice. This way, you can reach an inner state of peace without being distracted by the outside world or any negativity within yourself.
- Smoky Quartz is connected to the druids in lore and is the national gem of Scotland. This gemstone represented the power of the Earth Gods and Goddesses to the druids. It is also related to the Greek goddess of magic, Hecate.
How To Take Care Of Smoky Quartz crystal?
- Smoky Quartz is a very durable gemstone, but it can still be scratched. Store it in a cool and dry place to avoid damaging the stone.
- Refrain from using hot water or steam cleaners on your smoky quartz jewelry because they may cause permanent damage to the stone.
- When you clean your jewelry, use lukewarm soapy water and wipe gently with a microfiber cloth to avoid scratching it further.
- If any streaks are left behind after washing, rub them away with another soft cloth before drying thoroughly with a dry towel. Let it air dry, so no moisture remains inside the crystal after cleaning.
- After cleaning your Smoky Quartz pieces with lukewarm soapy water, burn white sage or other cleansing materials nearby to remove any excess negative energy from them.
- This will prevent them from losing their energy over time and keep you safe from any negative energy that could leak into your own body when you wear them.
- Recharge the stones by burying them under soil for about several hours during full moon nights (or whenever there aren’t clouds), pouring salty water over them for a few minutes, and even leaving them above ground during daytime hours under direct sunlight where light can penetrate through glass windows!
Is the smoky Quartz crystal a birthstone?
Smoky Quartz is not a birthstone, as it does not have any significant meaning in the traditional sense. However, this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t wear it! It’s simply one of those stones that can be worn for any occasion.
What is the smoky Quartz crystal good for?
Smoky Quartz is recommended for those feeling anxious or worried about something in their lives. It helps you channel your energy into something positive and productive while remaining calm and peaceful inside yourself at the same time.
Smoky Quartz is also an excellent grounding stone that can help you stay grounded during astral travel and other spiritual journeys. It helps you stay connected to your body in the physical world when you have an out-of-body experience. Furthermore, it is considered useful for helping you connect with your ancestors during meditation.
What are the healing properties of the smoky Quartz crystal?
Smoky Quartz strongly connects to the root chakra, which helps us feel deeply grounded in our bodies. It is also said to have a calming effect on the mind and spirit. It can help release stress and tension from your body and negative energy from past experiences or relationships. It has been used in crystal healing for centuries to protect against negative energy or evil spirits; it may even protect against some forms of radiation!
What gemstones go best with the smoky Quartz crystal?
Is the smoky quartz crystal heat treated?
Yes. Smoky quartz is a form of quartz that’s been naturally heated by volcanic activity, which gives it a smoky appearance. Heat treatment is necessary for most types of gemstones because it helps improve their clarity and create a more uniform coloring throughout each piece.