Chrysoprase is one of the most beautiful gemstones you can find worldwide. It has a lovely green color and is often used to make jewelry. The stone can be found in different shades, but apple green is the most common.
This article will guide you regarding the properties, meaning, and use of the Chrysoprase stone.
What Is Chrysopraase?
Chrysoprase is a lustrous apple-green gemstone famed for its unique color. It is said to symbolize luck and protection and relates to the Heart chakra. This gemstone has been used throughout history for jewelry making due to its stunning color.
Chrysoprase belongs to the Chalcedony family, meaning it is a type of Quartz. It is known for enhancing the communication capabilities of the user, providing them with protection against the supernatural, and increasing their self-confidence.
Etymology and Pronunciation
Chrysoprase is a type of chalcedony that is named after the Greek word “chrysos” meaning gold, and “prasinon” meaning green. The name “chrysoprase” can be pronounced as kris-oh-prayze.
Physical Properties Of Chrysoprase
Chrysoprase is found in green colors, and apple green is the most common shade.
Chrysoprase, like other chalcedony gems, is hard. The Mohs scale of mineral hardness rates it a 6 to 7.
This means that it will not easily break or scratch under normal circumstances; however, you should always wear protective eyewear when working with chrysoprase and other gemstones to avoid injury from accidental impact.
Chrysoprase has a hexagonal crystal system with a conchoidal fracture.
The density of chrysoprase can vary based on its composition but usually falls within 2.55–2.70 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3). When selecting a piece for yourself or someone else as a gift, you might want to consider this information and its weight to ensure that it feels appropriate for its size and price point.
|Chemical name||Silicon dioxide|
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||6 – 7|
Chrysoprase Stone Value
The value of any gemstone depends on a few things:
- Size: The larger the stone, the more valuable it is. Bigger and heavier stones get progressively more expensive as they are harder to mine.
- Color: Uninterrupted and unique colors are more valued than standard shades of color. Chrysoprase is a green-colored gemstone, which is a slightly rare coloration. Therefore, it is valued higher than some of the other ones.
- Pattern: Unique and exciting patterns fetch a higher price in the market.
- Rarity: Chrysoprase is a very rare type of Chalcedony. Because of its rarity, it is more expensive than other types of chalcedony.
- Clarity: Clarity refers to how many imperfections are visible in a gemstone. The fewer flaws there are, the better its clarity and, thus, its value. The cost of this gemstone generally ranges from $30-100. However, some stones can exceed the hundred-dollar mark as well
Where Can You Find Chrysoprase Stone?
Chrysoprase is most commonly found in Australia, Brazil, Madagascar, and the USA. It’s a slightly opaque variety of chalcedony quartz with a natural color range from olive to golden green to apple green. According to the official mindat website, the countries with Chrysoprase mines are:
In addition to these countries where it’s mined commercially for jewelry and decorative objects, you can always find chrysoprase for sale at rock shops throughout the world.
Chrysoprase Symbolisms and Powers
- Chrysoprase is an excellent stone for communicating with others.
- It’s also good for boosting your self-confidence. It can help you achieve your goals and make you happy and optimistic about life.
- Chrysoprase is also associated with protection and was used as a magical amulet.
- Many people choose to wear or carry a piece of chrysoprase jewelry as a talisman for attracting romance or maintaining their existing relationships.
- Wearing or carrying a piece of jewelry made from this crystal can also be beneficial if you’re feeling lonely because it encourages friendship and companionship between people.
- Chrysoprase stone is considered lucky. You can carry it with you to attract good fortune. Moreover, its luck aspect compliments its success aspect creating a resonance effect that enhances both benefits.
Chrysoprase is associated with the Heart and Sacral chakras. This stone helps you to reach a deeper understanding of yourself, your emotions, and the world around you.
It can help you understand your fears and insecurities while also giving you the courage to face them head-on. Chrysoprase will help to release negative thoughts or feelings so that more positive ones can come through.
Chrysoprase is a stone of transformation because it brings about change in an individual’s life by bringing out suppressed emotions that have been hidden inside them for too long.
It works exceptionally well when helping people going through tough times due to their job or relationship status (or any other reason).
Chrysoprase is not a birthstone. However, you can use it to substitute for green onyx which is a birthstone for May.
Chrysoprase in The Bible
Chrysoprase is a holy stone that was mentioned in Revelation 21:20 as the tenth foundation stone for New Jerusalem.
“…the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst…”
Chrysoprase is a gemstone that has been used for centuries. It has been carved into jewelry, incorporated into mosaics, and used as a decorative element in many buildings around the world.
Chrysoprase also lends itself well to intaglios and cameos, which are two types of hand-carved designs that can be made with chrysoprase.
In addition to its versatility in creating carvings and cameos, chrysoprase is durable enough for all kinds of jewelry applications, including rings. It is usually paired with other gemstones in jewelry, such as Agate.
Chrysoprase is a stone of protection. Historically, it was worn as a magical amulet to protect the wearer. Artifacts from the 13th century containing Chrysoprase show it with carvings of a bull.
Furthermore, the Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians used the Chrysoprase stone to create seals and signets to protect their precious belongings.
Chrysoprase stone is mainly used in jewelry. However, some people still use it for its spiritual properties. It is worn to shield against negativity and promote higher emotions in the wearer.
How Can You Tell if Chrysoprase is Real?
There are a few things to look for when judging whether a Chrysoprase is real.
- Transparency: Chrysoprase is a translucent stone that can sometimes be slightly opaque. However, if it looks completely opaque, then it is not genuine.
- Color: The biggest giveaway of colored glass is the imperfections in its design. Any gem that doesn’t have any variation in hues and coloration is likely fake. Natural gemstones have variations in saturation and color, giving them a characteristic look that cannot be replicated with dyes.
- Sunlight: If Chrysoprase is exposed for too long in the sunlight, it will start to fade. The color will lose its deepness and luster. However, it can be restored by storing it in a cold and damp place.
How to Take Care of Chrysoprase Jewelry?
To keep your chrysoprase looking its best, here are some tips for taking care of it:
- Avoid wearing it in the shower or in swimming pools. Removing your jewelry before you bathe is a good idea, as this will help keep the gems from absorbing the water.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals on chrysoprase. Be sure not to use harsh cleaners or detergents on your opal jewelry, as they can damage the delicate structure of its surface and cause discoloration. Remember that even mild dish soap may be too harsh for chrysoprase.
- Clean your jewelry with warm water and soap. Make sure to dry it afterward with a microfiber cloth to ensure maximum polish.
- Avoid wearing chrysoprase when doing strenuous exercise. When exercising, there is a chance that the jewelry gets caught on something and breaks off. This is especially true if you’re playing any contact sport like soccer or football, where there is a potential risk for injury due to collisions with other players.
Is chrysoprase heat-treated?
Chrysoprase is not typically heat-treated. Exposure to heat can cause the stone to lose its color and vibrancy. However, it can be restored by placing it in a moist environment.
Is chrysoprase soft or hard?
Chrysoprase is a relatively hard stone. It is rated 6-7 on the Mohs scale. Regular knives should not be able to scratch a chrysoprase stone.
Is Chrysoprase stone porous?
Chrysoprase is a porous stone and can soak up liquids rapidly. Therefore, it is not recommended to use any harsh chemicals when cleaning the gemstone.
What is Chrysoprase stone good for?
Chrysoprase is known as a stone of transformation. It helps people change themselves for the better, eliminate negative emotions, and make way for more positive influences in their lives.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Chrysoprase Stone?
Chrysoprase brings equilibrium to one’s emotions and allows the heart to accept change. It can be useful to get over someone after a long relationship.
What Works Well With chrysoprase Stone?
The best pairing for a heart-connected stone like Chrysoprase is tourmaline which connects to the root chakra. The Chrysoprase stone brings a kind of levity to your heart and raises you up, while the tourmaline grounds you and connects you to the earth.
Chrysoprase works well with other quartz stones, such as different types of Chalcedony, Carnelian, Agate, etc.