Mandarin Garnet Overview
Mandarin Garnet is a gemstone often used in jewelry due to its attractive orange and yellow-orange colors.
Until recently, Mandarin Garnet was quite rare. However, recent discoveries of large deposits in Tanzania and China have made it very popular among gemstone traders.
This article details the properties, uses, and meanings of the Mandarin Garnet gemstone.
What is Mandarin Garnet?
Mandarin garnet, also known as spessartine, is a fiery red and yellow-colored variety of the garnet family. Its lustrous color and beautiful red hues attract people from all over the world.
The Mandarin Garnet is said to symbolize success and trust. It is often worn by business people for its metaphysical properties and visual appeal. It is also useful for people trying to open up their sacral chakra.
Mandarin Garnet forms a solid-solution series with Almandine, so it can be difficult to tell the two Garnets apart when they occur together.
Origin of name
Mandarin Spessartite Garnet is a rare orange variety of garnet that gets its name from the Mandarin oranges whose color it resembles.
Previously its trade name was “manganesian” garnet (due to its Manganese content), coined by Henry Seybert, using minerals from Haddam, Connecticut, USA. In 1797, Martin Klaproth named the mineral granatförmiges Braunsteinerz when he found it in Spessart Mountains.
- Erinite (of van der Lingen)
- Spessartine Garnet
- Spessartite Garnet
Mandarin garnets are found either in bedrock or alluvium. Orange garnets result from sodium-rich pegmatites. Spessartines are also typically mined from the highlands in Sahatany valley and the Kunene River. Those that occur naturally within alluvium tend to be located farther south, near the Maevatanana region.
Where are They found?
The significant mines for this garnet are found in many countries worldwide, including:
For a more comprehensive list, you can visit mindat.
Mandarin Garnets have the following properties:
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||7 – 7.5|
|Refractive Index||1.78 – 1.81|
|Specific Gravity||4.12 – 4.18|
Mandarin garnets come in various colors, including yellowish orange and reddish orange. The color mainly occurs due to the presence of Mn2+ in the crystal structure of the garnet. A low concentration of Mn2+ leads to yellowish-orange color, while higher concentrations lead to a darker reddish-orange color.
The combination of its vivid color and high refractive index make spessartite garnet one of the most brilliant colored gems in the world.
The inclusions are rutile needles and “Fingerprints” (a type of inclusion composed of two phases).
How can you tell if your Garnet is genuine or not?
The best way to determine whether your Mandarin Garnet is genuine is to get it examined by a professional. You can visit your local jeweler or take the stone to an expert for evaluation.
Some valuable tips to remember when checking if your stone is genuine or not are as follows.
- Color: The color of a genuine Garnet can range from light orange to reddish-orange. The stone should also have an intense, bright appearance and not appear dull. You’re probably looking at a fake if it does not have these characteristics.
- Acetone Test: Soak the Garnet stone in acetone for a few minutes to see if the color comes off. If it does, you can be sure your stone is fake.
- Check for weight: Check the weight of your Mandarin Garnet. If it feels too light, then it may be fake or insubstantial.
- Scratch Test: Do a scratch test. Kitchen knives shouldn’t leave a mark on hard stones with a rating of 6-7 or higher. Mandarin Garnet has a Mohs hardness of 7.5 and does not have cleavage.
Price and Value
The price of a mandarin garnet can vary greatly depending on its size and color. The most expensive garnets are those that have a rich orange color with no visible inclusions and are approx. 15 mm in width. These gems can sell for over $300/ct.
Color and brilliance are the most crucial factors when determining a mandarin garnet’s value. The more saturated the color, the greater the value. A rich orange hue, like the drink Fanta, is the most desirable color for this type of garnet. The color is graded on a scale of 1 to 10, with one being the lightest and ten being the darkest. The most valuable stones are those with solid orange color without any visible inclusions. These gems can sell for over $300 per carat.
The cut of garnet has little to no effect on the value. However, your gem must be well-cut to display its best features and maximize its beauty. For example, a mandarin garnet will look best in an oval cut with either step or brilliant facets, but cabochon and pear-cut garnets are also pretty valuable.
The size of a gemstone is the most critical factor in determining its value. Larger gems are rarer, more valuable, and more desirable than smaller ones. For example, a one-carat Mandarin Garnet is usually more costly than a half-carat one because fewer are available at any given time, and they take longer to find.
The clarity of a gem is determined by its flaws. The fewer flaws a gem has, the more valuable it becomes. For example, a Mandarin Garnet with no visible inclusions or blemishes may be worth much more than one that does have them. A well-cut garnet will also have fewer flaws because the cutting process removes any defects from the original rough garnet.
What Chakra does Mandarin Garnet symbolize?
Mandarin Garnet is associated with the sacral Chakra, which helps you to feel grounded and stable. It also allows you to have a healthy sexual life and a good relationship with yourself and others.
Where is the sacral Chakra located?
The sacral Chakra is located at the base of your spine, in front of the coccyx. It controls your sexual energy, creativity, and ability to manifest things into reality.
What’s another name for the sacral Chakra?
The sacral Chakra is also known as the second Chakra, which means it’s the second of seven energy centers in your body.
What does Mandarin Garnet symbolize?
Mandarin garnet symbolizes the following:
- Mandarin garnet is known as the “success stone,” which means that this gemstone is perfect for people seeking success in life. The Chinese believe Mandarin Garnet can help them draw more money, fame, and love into their lives.
- Mandarin garnet is a lovely, deep red stone symbolizing passion, affection, and enhancement of powers of expression. It helps create good relationships that are based on honesty and trust. Mandarin Garnet signifies the joy of shared pleasure with others. It also stands for friendship and family bonds. Mandarin Garnet is a perfect gift to symbolize the friendship relationship between two people.
- The mandarin garnet symbolizes love and trust. It is a charm to help keep the fire of love burning bright and glowing with passion. The Mandarin Garnet will clear the air of negativity and draw positive energy into your life while increasing strength and commitment in personal relationships. The Mandarin Garnet heals emotional wounds from previous rejections and strengthens trust between partners.
- Mandarin Garnet is a symbol of royalty and wealth. This stone is believed to impart a sense of “royalty” and power and is often given as a gift by those in authority. It is said that the Mandarin Garnet will draw out the negative energy and clear space for positive energy to enter, thereby creating an environment filled with love, friendship, and loyalty.
What are the uses of Mandarin Garnet?
- Mandarin Garnet is a powerful stone for personal strength and leadership, as well as helping you set goals. This can also help you make decisions more quickly by helping guide your intuition. Mandarin Garnet has been used to treat anxiety disorders and to awaken the intellect. It is believed to bring in money, good luck, and prosperity.
- This stone also helps you to feel more confident and secure, especially during stressful situations. It has been used as a protective amulet and is thought to bring good luck in love and marriage. Pure Orange mandarin garnet is an excellent stone for meditation because it clears your mind from distractions and helps you focus on the task.
- The stone can also help you get in touch with your emotions, which is thought to bring emotional stability. Healers have used it as a quick-acting pain reliever, and it is said that this stone will help you relieve stress. Mandarin Garnet is helpful for people who are struggling with symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease or dementia because it helps them remember things more clearly.
- This stone is thought to be helpful in helping you make decisions based on love and compassion rather than fear or anger. It can also help you release negative emotions, such as resentment or jealousy. Furthermore, it is believed that this gem can support people who have difficulty dealing with change or transition. You can use the stone when you need clarity about what’s happening in your life and how it will impact others.
- The garnet is a powerful stone for healing. It can alleviate pain associated with migraines, arthritis, and other conditions that cause inflammation. It’s also known as a stone of love and passion, which makes it an excellent gift for anyone in your life who needs some help finding their true purpose or reaching their full potential.
How to clean Mandarin Garnet Jewelry?
Mandarin Garnet is durable and can be cleaned with warm soapy water and a soft cloth. Avoid using ultrasonics or steamers, as these may cause damage to the stone’s surface. If you want to clean your gemstone jewelry at home, take the following steps:
- Cleaning jewelry is simple; cleaning it with a microfiber cloth and warm water will make your piece look just as good as new.
- If your Jewelry is dirty or has begun to lose its luster, you can clean it by soaking the piece (do not submerge it) in mild dishwashing liquid and warm water.
- Rub some alcohol onto a soft cloth and use this to clean the surface of the gemstone—this will keep it looking shiny!
- Burning sage will remove any negative energy absorbed into the stone.
- You can recharge your amulet by burying it underground or immersing it in the moonlight.
It’s essential to cleanse the stone before each use—this keeps your energy flowing and will help prevent negative energies from entering.
It should not be exposed to household chemicals or heat, damaging it or changing its color. Extraordinary care is not required during the cleaning process, though.
Which Gemstones Go Best With Mandarin Garnet?
Many gemstones pair well with this garnet, such as opals, sapphires, citrine, peridot, and topaz. They also go well with varieties of Chalcedony.
If you’re looking for a complementary stone, consider the Alexandrite gem. It promotes self-confidence while boosting creativity and imagination. It’s also an amulet against bad dreams, so if you’ve been having nightmares lately, this might be a good choice.
It also complements diamond rings and emerald necklaces.
What Is It Good For?
This Garnet is a powerful stone that can protect the wearer from negative energy, so it’s great for anyone who feels that other people are draining them. It can also help those who have been feeling down lately get back on track and start living their lives to the fullest!
This stone is also known as a protective amulet, so it’s an excellent choice for anyone who feels that they’re in danger or needs some extra energy from the universe. It can boost creativity and imagination while promoting self-confidence and courage.
What Are The Healing Properties Of Mandarin Garnet?
This stone is a powerful healing crystal that can be used to help with issues of the heart, liver, and spleen. It can also boost circulation in the body and improve mental clarity, which makes it great for those who are experiencing stress or anxiety. Wearing the stone during the month of January can also help negate any accident that might have occurred during that month.