Burmese Ruby Overview
Burmese rubies are a type of red gemstone that is the most popular type of ruby. They are known for their deep, rich color and high quality.
Burmese rubies are some of the most coveted gemstones in the world, thanks to their intense red color, hardness, and durability.
This article details the properties, uses, and meanings of the Burmese Ruby gemstone.
What Is Burmese Ruby?
Ruby is a red variety of corundum. Corundum is a mineral that forms in crystal form, and it can be found all over the world. Another very popular variety of corundum is called sapphire. Ruby is one of the cardinal gemstones, along with sapphire, diamond, amethyst, and emerald.
Burmese Ruby is a red gemstone, but it can range from deep red to orange-red. The color of Burmese Ruby depends on where it’s mined and how much chromium is present in the rock.
Burmese rubies are mined in Myanmar (formerly known as Burma) and have been for centuries. They are known for their intense red hue, though other types of ruby also have similar qualities.
The demand for Burmese rubies has been increasing over the years, especially because of their rarity and unique color.
The history of Burmese Rubies dates back to ancient times; they were used in jewelry by kings and queens. Burmese Rubies are one of the oldest known gems in recorded history and have been valued for their beauty and rarity ever since their discovery. As a result, they were one of the most sought-after gemstones in ancient times and remained so. Even today, they are also a popular choice for jewelry designers worldwide.
The Sunrise Ruby, weighing 25.59 carats, is the world’s most expensive ruby. It is also known as the most expensive colored gemstone, sold for 30 million dollars at an auction in May 2015, setting a world record! In addition, it is the most expensive gemstone other than a diamond and was mined in Myanmar.
How Did Burmese Ruby get its name?
The word ruby originates from “Ruber,” which is Latin for red.
Natural rubies are mined in Burma and have been for thousands of years. These are the most valuable because they are so rare and naturally occurring. Large ruby crystals can be found in Burma, but most are small and require cutting before being sold as polished stones or jewelry.
Synthetic rubies have been created by people through heat treatment processes that alter the color of other types of corundum. These are not considered precious gems like natural Burma rubies because they have been artificially created; however, they can still be used for jewelry just like any other gemstone for jewelry purposes such as rings, necklaces, earrings, etcetera.
Burmese Ruby Appearance
Burmese rubies are generally redder than other rubies and can range from a dark pinkish red to a deep purplish red with hints of orange. The color of a Burmese ruby is determined by its body color and tone. The body color measures the overall hue, while the tone indicates how light or dark it is. The combination of these two factors determines the final appearance of an individual ruby stone. Blood-red rubies, also called pigeon blood rubies, are the most valuable kind and command significantly higher prices than other types of rubies of equal quality.
The most highly prized stones have good transparency and intense color saturation. However, clarity is not always necessary when considering a ruby because they have no cleavage planes like many other gems, so they can have minor fractures or inclusions without affecting the gem’s beauty too much.
Where Are Burmese Rubies Found?
Burmese Rubies are mined in the following regions of Myanmar.
Burmese Ruby Physical Properties
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||9|
|Refractive Index||1.762 – 1.778|
|Luster||Subadamantine, Vitreous, Pearly|
|Specific Gravity||3.97 – 4.05|
|Transparency||Transparent, Translucent, Opaque|
Burmese Ruby Value
Burmese rubies are generally considered among the most beautiful and valuable gemstones in the world due to their high quality and rarity. The best ones can sell for hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.
- Size: A ruby’s size and carat weight are important when determining its value. The best Burmese rubies are generally huge, and the most valuable ones are often over two carats in weight. A half-carat Burmese ruby will likely be worth less than $500, while a one-carat stone can sell for around $1,000 to $2,000.
- Color: Burmese rubies are available in various colors, including red, pink, orange, and violet. The most valuable ones are the darkest reds. Burmese rubies are known for their deep red color and can be almost any shade of red.
- Clarity: Most Burmese rubies have visible inclusions and tiny fractures inside them. These imperfections don’t affect the stone’s beauty or value much unless they are large or numerous. The most valuable ones have a vivid, pure hue with no visible inclusions or other flaws and are known as “eye-clean,” meaning their inclusions are not visible to the naked eye. Such fine rubies are of the highest quality and fetch high prices.
- Cut: The cut of a ruby is crucial because it allows you to see the stone’s color clearly. It also affects the sparkle and fire of the ruby, which are its most desirable features. Cutters usually prefer square or rectangular stones with flat sides, but they can also be cut into round, oval, pear, cushion, cabochon shapes, or even a diamond cut.
How To Tell If Burmese Ruby Is Real?
The usual methods used to determine whether the Burmese Ruby is genuine or not are given below:
- Color: One way to tell if a Burmese Ruby is real is to look at its color. The stone’s color should be continuous throughout and not fade in any areas. Check the color for vibrancy and monotony. If it’s monotonous and lacks depth, it is likely fake.
- Acetone Test: This is one of the easiest ways to tell if your Burmese Ruby is genuine or not. Place your stone in acetone for a few minutes and look for any color changes. If there is no visible change, then it means that your ruby is natural and pure.
- Check for inclusions: If you have an expert eye, you can see the presence of inclusions in your Burmese Ruby. These are tiny cracks in natural stones that a trained eye can easily spot. The absence of these inclusions can suggest your ruby might be fake.
- Scratch Test: Do a scratch test. Kitchen knives shouldn’t leave a mark on hard stones with a rating of 6-7 or higher. Burmese Ruby is exceptionally durable with a Mohs hardness of 9 and cannot be scratched so easily. If you can see tiny scratches or cracks on the surface of your ruby, chances are that it is a fake.
If you are unsure, you can bring it to professional jewelers or gemological experts to verify.
Burmese Ruby Chakra Connection
The red in Burmese Ruby is associated with The Heart Chakra, also known as Anahata. It is located in the middle of your chest, right where the heart is. This chakra is associated with blood, circulation, love, compassion, and emotional balance.
When this chakra is blocked or imbalanced, you may experience emotional issues such as depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem.
When this chakra is balanced, you will feel joyful. You will be able to express love for yourself, others, and the world around you. You may feel compassion for those who are suffering in any way. This chakra is associated with the color red, which represents energy, passion, action, and life force.
Which Birthstone Is Ruby Associated With?
Ruby is the traditional birthstone for July, which makes it a great gift choice if you’re looking to celebrate a birthday or anniversary with someone born in July. In addition, a ruby ring can be a fantastic choice as an engagement ring.
Burmese Ruby is associated with the Zodiac Sign Capricorn and is said to bring good luck, prosperity, and wisdom to those who wear it.
What does Burmese Ruby Symbolize?
- Love: Ruby is a stone of love and passion. It represents the power of love, which can be gentle or fierce. The dreamy quality of this gemstone brings imagination, creativity, and sensitivity to those who wear it.
- Success: This stone is also associated with success and can be used to attract abundance. It is said to promote success in business, academic pursuits, and relationships.
- Wealth: Ruby is also associated with wealth and is believed to attract money and prosperity when worn as jewelry.
- Wisdom: Burmese ruby is said to promote learning and understanding. It can help you tap into your inner knowledge and enhance creativity. The stone also has a calming effect on the mind, helping clear away negative thoughts and emotions that are holding you back from achieving your full potential.
- Protection: Ruby is a powerful talisman that wards off evil and misfortune. It protects against psychic attacks, physical harm, and spells cast against you.
Burmese Ruby Meaning And Uses
- In some cultures, wearing a ruby on your body is believed to bring good luck and ward off evil. It’s a great stone to protect yourself against negative energy and psychic attacks.
- Ruby is also an excellent stone for meditation and can help you tap into your psychic abilities. It’s also thought to enhance creativity, which makes it a fantastic choice for artists or anyone who wants to explore their creative side.
- Ruby is associated with the heart chakra, making it an excellent choice for people who wish to open their hearts. It’s also associated with love and compassion, making it a perfect choice for anyone who wants to attract more love into their life. The color red is also linked to passion, meaning wearing ruby can help you tap into your sexual desires.
- It is thought to help you stay grounded in times of stress. It is said to be excellent for healing physical and emotional trauma, so if you’ve been through something difficult recently or have experienced any abuse, Ruby may be a good choice for you.
- It’s an excellent stone for those who want to be more confident in themselves and their abilities, so if you struggle with low self-esteem or lack confidence, this might be the stone for you! It will help you find your voice, both literally and metaphorically! Ruby is also thought to boost physical energy levels and stamina, so it’s a good choice for those who want to get more out of their day-to-day lives.
- The stone is also known to help you connect with your spiritual side, which can help you tap into your divinity. Ruby can be an excellent choice if you’re looking for a way to get in touch with your spirituality.
- Ruby is also a precious stone for healing old wounds and releasing negative emotions like anger and resentment. The stone is thought to help you release old pain and trauma from your past so you can move forward in your life.
How To Clean Burmese Ruby Jewelry?
It is essential you always take good care of your jewelry. Following are some steps you can take to clean your gemstone thoroughly.
- To start, dip the Burmese Ruby in lukewarm water for 15 minutes up to an hour to loosen up the dirt and grime.
- After soaking, use a toothbrush and brush off all the stains gently. If there is resistance, you can use soap or a gentle dishwasher detergent.
- After thoroughly cleaning your stone, use a microfiber cloth to dry it and bring out its shiny luster.
- Be sure to store it in a cool and dry place.
- You can recharge your stone by using a full moon’s light or by burying it in the Earth, drawing out any negative energy it contains and replacing it with positive energy. Make sure you do this at least once a month to keep your stone charged and at its highest potential!
Which Gemstones Go Best With Burmese Ruby?
What Is Burmese Ruby Good For?
Burmese Ruby has been historically known for its healing properties. It has been said to help with emotional healing, regeneration of the body and mind, and even spiritual enlightenment. It is also believed to help protect against negative energy and psychic attack.
Is Burmese Ruby Heat Treated?
Heat treatment is a widespread method. Most rubies that fall into the lower price range have been artificially treated to improve their appearance. These treatments typically involve temperatures around 1800 °C (3300 °F).