Gem Silica Overview
Gem Silica is a type of quartz found in many unique colors and can have many different properties.
It is usually referred to as “Gem Chrysocolla,” but it is a member of the Chalcedony (Quartz) family and thus is a gem.
It is often used as a gemstone because of its beauty, rarity, and unique properties, and it is sought after by collectors and jewelry designers. If you are looking for a beautiful and rare gemstone that can be incorporated into any jewelry design, this is the stone you are looking for.
This article will help you learn about Gem Silica, where it comes from, how much it costs, and what types of uses there are for this stone.
What Are Its Properties?
Gem Silica has many properties that make it an exciting choice for jewelry or other items. Some common traits are that it is hard to scratch and highly resistant to heat and cold.
Where Can You Find It?
It is a rare stone. You can only find it in the state of Arizona, USA.
|Chemical name||Silicon dioxide|
|Color||Bluish Green – Greenish Blue|
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||5.5 – 6.5|
|Refractive Index||1.54 to 1.55|
|Luster||Vitreous, Sub-Vitreous, Resinous|
Where Is It Formed?
Gem Silica is almost always associated with copper deposits. It is a secondary mineral that forms as fracture fillings in the rocks above and adjacent to copper deposits. Its occurrence and deposit geometries are like any other chalcedony type and are often associated with Malachite and Quartz.
The deposits are usually small in size and volume. Hence it is a material measured in the gram rather than in the ton.
Chrysocolla is a bluish-green to a greenish-blue variety of chalcedony. It is translucent, meaning light does not pass through it. White streaks are observed in some types, and it takes quite a high polish.
Gem Silica is primarily linked to your throat chakra and connects it to your third eye and heart chakra.
This excellent connection allows a peaceful flow of emotional energy and empowers one to bring their words into reality by amplifying prayer, spells, and singing. It helps you look deep into your mind’s eye and access your intuition.
It helps you realize your goals and desires with a clear mind and assists you in manifesting them. Gem Silica can also help calm your mind and energy, help you vocalize what may be lingering in your heart, mind, and soul, and ease the strain you experience when dealing with traumas while helping you open up to confiding in loved ones.
When used in combination with other stones, Gem Silica can create powerful magical combinations that open the door to spiritual growth and enlightenment.
Meaning And Uses
There are many different meanings associated with this stone.
Cost And Value
This gemstone is highly valuable, with good reason. It is scarce, and high-quality specimens are sought after by collectors and jewelry designers.
Any new materials in the market are quickly seized up by buyers, with high-quality cut gemstones selling for more than $100 per carat. The actual price of the stone varies, but it depends on a few factors:
- Size: Price increases drastically with an increase in size as larger stones are harder to find and more difficult to cut.
- Quality: Quality is determined by the number of inclusions and imperfections in the gemstone. Clarity is also essential when determining the quality of a gem.
- Clear stones are not always of higher quality. Some crystals, like Moss Agate, are considered to be of higher quality when they are murkier and have more inclusions. However, in the case of Gem Silica, a higher degree of clarity and fewer inclusions make it more valuable.
- Color: The color of a gemstone influences its value as well. Some hues, such as blue, are rare in nature and are thus considered more valuable. Another factor to consider is the vibrancy of the gemstone. Furthermore, the continuity of the color also impacts its perceived value. Gems with a continuous, vibrant, and unique color scheme will be worth more.
- Cut: The cut of a gemstone also affects its price. As with all fine jewelry, the quality of the cut determines how beautiful and valuable it will be. This can make a massive difference in the price of specific stones.
Though the material is optimal for any jewelry design, Gem Silica is rarely seen in jewelry due to its limited supply and rarity.
How To Tell If it Is Real?
One can judge the appearance of the stone to determine whether it is real rather than fake.
- Observe the color of the crystal. Gem Silica is a medium blue with an occasional tinge of green from other minerals. The crystal should not be entirely see-through but somewhat translucent with a diffusion of light that passes through it. Not only that, but if the stone is genuine, it will have a natural sheen. Fake Gem Silica may reflect light differently, giving it a more artificial appearance.
- Another test you can do is completely submerge the gem in acetone for a few minutes. If the acetone is cloudy after a few minutes, it means the stone was dyed and is most likely fake. If the gem retains just some of its original luster and color, it is probably genuine, but the lack of vibrant color will significantly reduce its value and price.
- Another quite common test is the scratch test. Gem Silica isn’t a very hard mineral, but it is still hard to scratch, meaning a simple cut on the stone will not produce a noticeable mark. Fake Gem Silica may have a softer surface that is easier to scratch.
If unsure, you can bring it to an expert to verify whether it is fake or genuine.
How To Clean Gem Silica Jewelry?
It is necessary to clean your jewelry regularly to keep it in top shape. The Gem Silica stone can degrade and lose value over time if you are not careful. Follow the given steps to clean your Gem Silica jewelry properly:
- Let it soak in soapy water for ten to twenty minutes, then take it out.
- If left wet, it can cause damage to other pieces in your collection, so it is also important to dry it thoroughly before storing it in a cool and dry place.
- You should also use a microfiber cloth to clean the surface and bring out its beautiful shine.
- If any detritus is still left, use a soft toothbrush to remove it.
- It is recommended not to wear the jewelry during heavy exercise because it can cause sweating and tarnish the jewelry.
- You can recharge your stone by burying it in the ground, letting it absorb the earth’s natural energy and dispelling any residual negative energy.
- It would be best if you did this at least once a month to keep your stone charged and at its highest potential.
What Are The Warning Signs That Gem Silica Needs Cleaning?
If you notice that your Gem Silica stone is showing signs of wear and tear, you should clean it as soon as possible. This means thoroughly rinsing the gem with mild soap and lukewarm water, followed by drying thoroughly before storing.
Is Gem Silica heat treated?
Gem Silica is a type of quartz that has been treated with a silica-based compound. This treatment makes the gem more resistant to heat and acid, making it ideal for use in jewelry.
What is Gem Silica good for?
Gem Silica has many valuable properties. It is thought to facilitate the expression of our most inner truths and our most extraordinary knowledge. Its calming, soothing energy can make your energy flow peacefully.
What Are The Healing Properties Of Gem Silica?
Gem Silica is a powerful communication stone that can help one to vocalize one’s worries, fears, and anxieties. It is said to promote peace of mind and may help in releasing anger and stress while inducing a sense of calm, allowing for clarity even in stress-filled conditions. This can enable one to be relaxed and productive in any situation.
Which Gemstones Go Best With Gem Silica?
A lot of gemstones can be used together with Gem Silica e.g. Grape Agate, Sardonyx, Chrysoprase, etc.
If you want to use Gem Silica with another gemstone, make sure that the materials have similar energies for a synergistic effect.
For example, if you use Gem Silica and a stone related to love or compassion, be sure not to put it next to gems related to anger or ego.