Burmese Sapphire Overview
Burmese Sapphire, also known as Myanmar sapphire and Mogok sapphires, is the blue-to-indigo variety of corundum that is mined in distinctive mountains near Mogok in the upper part of the Shan State, Burma (present-day Myanmar) and sold throughout the world.
It is a highly valued gemstone that is the centerpiece of many people’s collections. This article will take a look at the properties, meanings, and uses of the Burmese Sapphire gem.
What Is Burmese Sapphire?
The Burmese Sapphire is one of the rarest and most expensive gems in the world. The gem is a variety of “corundum,” the second hardest substance after diamond.
Burmese or Burma sapphires are known for their intense color, rarity, and deep luster. They’re widely considered the finest of all sapphires and have a brilliant, rich hue.
They are unique and beautiful gems that draw the attention of gem lovers worldwide.
How Did Sapphire get its name?
The name sapphire is adopted from the Greek “sapheiros” and the Latin “saphirus,” both of which mean blue.
How is Burmese Sapphire Formed?
Sapphire and ruby deposits are often found in the same geological formations but have different origins.
For example, Burmese Rubies and Sapphires are found in Myanmar’s Mogok Stone Tract, but the rubies form in marble, while sapphires are produced in corundum syenites.
Burmese sapphires can be found in a variety of different colors. While they may occur naturally, they are most often enhanced by exposure to heat or irradiation. There are genuine Burmese sapphires that are not treated at all, but those are rare and, therefore, more expensive.
Burmese Sapphire Appearance
Burmese Sapphire is an exceptionally beautiful gemstone. It comes in many colors, ranging from pink to violet to yellow and green, sometimes even with a combination of colors. The color is due to the presence of iron and chromium in the stone, which react to create different hues. Sapphires having colors other than blue are called fancy sapphires or particolored sapphires.
Star sapphires are an interesting variety of sapphires that are characterized by a six-rayed star that appears when viewed through an overhead light source. The reflections causing the asterism, or pattern of stars, are due to needle-like inclusions of a mineral called rutile present in its crystal structure. The mineral is composed of titanium oxide.
Burmese sapphires are known for their exceptional brilliance, color saturation, and durability. In addition, they are also very hard, rated nine on the Mohs scale. A stone with a Mohs hardness of 9 or above can be scratched by only diamond or moissanite, so these Burmese sapphires will remain beautiful for years to come.
The stones are generally quite large, ranging from 1 – 15 ct (carats). They may be fashioned into oval or pear shapes or even emerald cuts, but most often, they are used as cabochons or in antique and vintage jewelry.
Where Can You Find Burmese Sapphire?
Burmese Sapphires are mined in the following regions:
Burmese Sapphire Physical Properties
|Color||Blue, Pink, Colorless|
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||9|
|Refractive Index||1.762 – 1.788|
|Luster||Subadamantine, Vitreous, Pearly|
|Specific Gravity||3.95 – 4.03|
|Transparency||Transparent, Translucent, Opaque|
Burmese Sapphire Value
Usually, the price of Burmese Sapphires depends on the following factors:
- Size: Burmese sapphires are usually small and expensive. The larger the stone is, the more money it will cost you.
- Color: Color is the most important factor in determining the price of a sapphire. The most valuable color is a deep blue, known as “royal blue.” Blue sapphire is by far the most sought-after Sapphire. Other popular varieties include gems with pink, orange, and greenish tint. The more vibrant, deep, and vivid color of the stone, the higher its value.
- Clarity: The more transparent a gemstone is, with fewer inclusions or blemishes visible to the naked eye, the higher the price it will fetch.
- Synthetic Sapphires: Synthetic Sapphire is an artificial gemstone produced in factories using methods like heat treatment and adding chemical dopants. The price of synthetic Sapphire is generally lower than natural Burmese Sapphire. A natural sapphire without any treatments will fetch a much higher price.
- Cut: The cut of a gemstone plays a significant role in its price. A well-cut stone will reflect more light and sparkle, making it more attractive to the eye. The cut also affects the durability of a gemstone as well as its value. Perfectly cut stones are of the finest quality and are more valuable than those cut too shallow or deep.
How To Tell If Burmese Sapphire Is Real?
Here are a couple of simple ways to check the authenticity of Burmese Sapphire.
- Color: One way to tell if a Burmese Sapphire is real is to look at its color. To determine whether a gemstone is genuine, examine it carefully. The color should be consistent throughout and not fade in any areas. Look for natural color changes, which are most common in the stone’s center. A genuine stone will have depth and vibrancy that an artificial one won’t possess.
- Acetone Test: This is one of the best ways to tell if your Burmese Ruby is genuine or not. Place your stone in acetone for a few minutes and look for any change in color. If there is no visible change, then it means that your ruby is natural and pure.
- Check for inclusions: Burmese Sapphires can contain inclusions—tiny cracks that an expert eye can spot easily. A lack of these inclusions may suggest your Sapphire might be a fake.
- Scratch Test: Do a scratch test. Kitchen knives shouldn’t leave a mark on hard stones with a rating of 6 – 7 or higher. Burmese Sapphire is exceptionally durable with a Mohs hardness of 9 and cannot be scratched so easily. If you can see tiny scratches or cracks on the surface of your Sapphire, chances are that it is a fake.
If you have questions about your stone’s authenticity, contact a reputable jeweler or gemologist and ask for verification.
Burmese Sapphire Chakra Connection
Third Eye Chakra
The blue color in Burmese Sapphire is closely connected to the Third Eye Chakra, also known as Ajna. It’s located between your eyes and helps you to connect with higher energies and receive spiritual guidance. It’s also responsible for your intuition and psychic abilities.
When this Chakra is blocked, you may experience confusion, headaches, and anxiety. You may feel disconnected from the world and unable to find your purpose. In addition, you may have difficulty seeing the big picture and connecting with your spiritual self.
You can use a Burmese Sapphire to help you activate your Third Eye Chakra. The stone will also help you to find peace and balance within yourself. When this Chakra is balanced, you will have a higher sense of self-awareness and a deeper understanding of the universe. You will also be able to connect with your spiritual guides and see into the future.
Burmese Sapphire connects you with the Throat Chakra. This Chakra is related to your ability to speak your truth and communicate with others.
An imbalanced Throat Chakra can lead to communication, self-expression, and creativity problems. It may also cause you to have a harder time understanding the messages being sent your way. You may have difficulty finding words when you need them most, or you find yourself frustrated when others don’t seem to understand what you are trying to say.
With the Burmese Sapphire, you can reinvigorate the Throat Chakra and express yourself clearly and effectively. The stone will also help you speak from a place of love rather than fear or anger.
Which Birthstone Is Sapphire Associated With?
Sapphire is a traditional birthstone for the month of September, which means it can be an excellent gift for the birthdays of those born this month. It is also a fantastic choice as an engagement ring.
What does Burmese Sapphire Symbolize?
- Balance: Sapphires are a symbol of balance, peace, and harmony. They also help you find inner peace, making them an ideal choice for those looking to achieve emotional stability.
- Strength: Sapphires are a symbol of strength, courage, and determination. They can help you find the courage you need to overcome your challenges and achieve success in life.
- Wisdom: Sapphires are a symbol of wisdom, intelligence, and knowledge. They can help you become more knowledgeable about the world around you, making them perfect for those who want to succeed in their academic studies or professional careers.
- Clarity: Sapphires are a symbol of clarity and purity, which makes them an ideal choice for those who want to cleanse and purify their minds, bodies, and souls. They can help you to become more focused on the present moment and less distracted by your thoughts or worries about the past or future. They can help you to see through the illusions of the world around you and find inner peace.
- Meditation: Sapphires are a symbol of meditation and contemplation, which makes them a good choice for those who want to achieve spiritual enlightenment. They can help you to relax the mind and body, quiet your thoughts and find inner peace.
Burmese Sapphire Meaning And Uses
- Burmese sapphires are said to be one of the most powerful stones in the world. They are said to have an energy that can help you to achieve a deep meditative state, which can lead to spiritual enlightenment. They are also able to provide protection against psychic attacks and negative energies.
- Burmese sapphires are said to protect the wearer from evil spirits, negative energy, and bad karma. They are also believed to ward off negativity in general, helping you to keep your mind clear and focused on the positive aspects of life.
- Burmese sapphires are particularly helpful for those suffering from emotional and psychological problems. They can help you to overcome feelings of fear, anger, or depression, as well as aid in the treatment of conditions such as stress and insomnia.
- Burmese sapphires are also believed to help improve your relationships with others. They can help you feel more secure and confident, as well as foster an atmosphere of trust and understanding.
- Burmese sapphires are said to be particularly beneficial for those who have suffered from a loss, whether it is the death of a relative or a loss of another type. They are also believed to be helpful for people who are trying to recover from an illness, especially if that illness has caused them to feel depressed or anxious.
- Burmese sapphires are also believed to help you connect with your spiritual side. They can help you to feel more connected with the world around you, as well as help foster a deeper appreciation for nature. Burmese sapphires are particularly beneficial when worn by people who enjoy being outdoors and exploring new places.
- The gemstones help the wearer to feel more comfortable in social situations. They can also help to improve self-esteem and give confidence to those who wear them.
How To Clean Burmese Sapphire Jewelry?
The usual household cleaning method includes the following steps:
- Soak in lukewarm soapy water for 15 – 30 minutes until the dirt and stains loosen up.
- Remove any remaining residues with a soft toothbrush until it appears spotless.
- Wipe the crystal with a microfiber cloth until it is smooth and lustrous.
- Cleanse it using burning sage to remove any negativity absorbed, which can negatively impact the surroundings.
- Recharge it using the moon’s light or burying it underground, whichever method suits you.
Be sure to cleanse the crystal before you use it. It will help you stay energized and keep negative energies at bay.
Which Gemstones Go Best With Burmese Sapphire?
Burmese sapphires are often used in conjunction with other gems. For example, a Burmese blue sapphire goes well with an emerald or diamond ring. You can also fashion your Burmese sapphire ring with complimentary gemstones to enhance its color.
You can also pair your Sapphire with different colors of the same family. For example, blue topaz or aquamarine would be an excellent match for your beautiful blue Sapphire.
As a stone of the upper chakras, it also goes well with stones like Grape Agate.
Is Burmese Sapphire associated with any health risks?
No information on health risks for this material has been entered into the database. Nevertheless, you should always treat mineral specimens with care.
What Are The Healing Properties Of Burmese Sapphire?
Historically, Burmese sapphires were known for their healing properties. They were used to help with insomnia, anxiety, and stress. People believed that they could help them through a traumatic experience.
The stones help the wearer to feel more comfortable in social situations. They can also help to improve self-esteem and give confidence to those who wear them.
Is Burmese Sapphire Heat Treated?
Burmese Sapphire is a gemstone that is often used in jewelry. It comes in many different colors, and its color can be enhanced by heat treatment. Sapphires are baked at temperatures between 800 and 1,800 degrees Celsius for several hours or weeks.