Colombian Emerald Stone Overview
Colombian emeralds are stunning deep green colored stones fit for kings. The name is derived from the country of origin, Colombia, South America.
These gemstones are quite rare and fetch high prices on the international market. Most emeralds have a Colombian origin because it is one of the few places on earth where they can be mined in large quantities.
This article will take a look into the history, property, and meanings of the Colombian Emerald stone.
What Is Colombian Emerald Stone?
Colombian emerald is a precious stone known for its premium quality and purity, which makes it extremely valuable. It is also very durable, which allows it to be used in many different types of jewelry, such as rings and necklaces. Colombian emeralds are classified among the world’s most beautiful and precious gemstones.
Colombian Emerald is a green variety of the mineral beryl. Beryl is a mineral that includes beryllium aluminum silicates; it is hard and clear. Its chemical makeup is Be3Al2(Si6O18).
History Facts About The Colombian Emerald Stone
Rough Emeralds have been mined in Egypt along with India and Australia for many centuries. However, a new industry was born in the Colombian emerald trade after the discovery of Colombian emerald mines.
It is believed that the Spanish first discovered these mines in the 16th century and started the trade on the back of indigenous slaves. Nowadays, Colombian Companies take control of these mines on a long-term lease from the government to mine them for profits.
In the 1980s, the Colombian drug cartels attempted a foray into this industry, leading to the appropriately named “Green War.”
The mines are located near the Eastern portion of a mountain range in Colombia, the Andes Mountains. This region is called the “Emerald belt.” This region is further divided into two parts, East and West.
The Western Emerald belt is of significant importance in terms of organizing the emerald trade.
Colombia is the world’s largest producer of rough emeralds, accounting for approximately 50–95% of global production, depending on the year and quality. From 2000 – 2010, Colombian output steadily increased by 78%.
During the 19th and 20th centuries, these mines closed down several times due to the tumultuous political situation in the western belt of the country.
Zambian Emeralds are one of the contenders for the best emerald in the world. They have significantly higher iron content, leading to a richer and deeper color. They go for high prices in the emerald market and are a core part of many people’s collections.
International demand for Zambian emeralds rose after major mines were discovered in the Kafubu area in Zambia in the 2000s.
How Did the Colombian Emerald Stone get its name?
The name “emerald” originates from the ancient Greek word “smaragdos,” which means “green gem.” Emeralds have been prized since ancient times because of their beauty and rarity.
Emeralds are formed by hydrothermal processes associated with magma and also by metamorphism. Colombian emerald deposits are found in biotite schists, clay shales, limestones, with pegmatites.
These emeralds are usually treated with epoxy raisins or oils to improve clarity and fill cracks in the gem. Such treated emeralds are called Synthetic Emeralds and are not considered as valuable as natural Colombian emeralds.
Natural Colombian Emerald Stone Appearance
There are many different colors of emeralds, but the most common is a rich green color. Colombian emeralds are typically dark green with a hint of blue, although they can vary in tone anywhere from yellowish-green to almost black. The color is caused by chromium and vanadium in the beryl crystal structure. Inclusions in an emerald may be visible under magnification.
Emeralds are a variety of beryl, which has a hexagonal crystal structure. This means that they form perfect hexagons when cut into gemstones and are cut with perfect symmetry and faceting.
Where Can You Find Colombian Emerald Stones?
Emerald Production is done on a large scale in a few areas in Colombia, namely:
Colombian Emerald Stone Physical Properties
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||7.5 – 8|
|Refractive Index||1.56 – 1.60|
|Specific Gravity||2.67 – 2.78|
Colombian Emerald Stone Value
Colombian Emerald stones are extremely valuable. They are one of the most valuable emeralds available today. The value will depend on things like the size and cut of your stone, as well as its clarity and color.
- Size: The size of your gemstone will have a direct impact on its value. Generally speaking, the larger the stone is, the more it will be worth. Since larger stones are rarer thus, they demand a higher price than the more common smaller stones.
- Cut: Emerald cutting also significantly impacts its value. For example, if you have a flawless stone with no flaws that have been well-cut, this will make it worth more than one that has been poorly cut but still contains no inclusions or flaws. An emerald cut is well-suited for these gemstones.
- Color: The color of your gemstone is highly impactful on its value. For example, if you have a green stone that is vibrant and vivid, this will make it worth more than one that has been cut but still contains no inclusions or flaws. The more intense and pure the color of your Colombian Emerald stone, the more it will be worth.
- Clarity: The clarity of your Colombian Emerald stone is also a major factor in its value. The more transparent and flawless your stone is, the more valuable it will be. If you have a Colombian emerald stone that is dull or cloudy, this will make it worth less than one that does not contain any inclusions at all.
How To Tell If Your Colombian Emerald Stone Is Real?
Here are a number of ways to check if your Colombian Emerald is real or fake.
- Color: The color of a natural Colombian emerald should be uniform and bright. If the color is not consistent, it may indicate that the stone has been dyed or some other treatment has been performed.
- Scratch Test: Do a scratch test. Kitchen knives shouldn’t leave a mark on hard stones with a rating of 6-7 or higher. A Colombian Emerald has a Mohs hardness of 7 and will not be scratched.
- Acetone Test: Do an acetone test. Soak in acetone for 15 minutes for up to an hour to see if the color comes off. If it does, then it’s likely fake.
- Check for inclusions: Inclusions are natural flaws in the rock. If you look closely at your gemstone, you should be able to find them. They will be small and irregularly shaped. If there are none, then it is probably fake.
If you have questions about your stone’s authenticity, contact a reputable jeweler or gemologist and ask for verification.
The Emerald is the stone that most clearly displays the energy patterns associated with the Heart Chakra.
The heart chakra is a powerful energy center within us that is directly linked to our emotional and physical health. It is also one of the major energy centers used in meditation, along with the higher crown chakras.
If the energy of this chakra is imbalanced, then we can experience difficulties in our relationships, health, and even in the workplace. We may experience an inability to feel love, compassion, and empathy. If the heart chakra is blocked or stagnant, it can lead to feelings of unworthiness and self-loathing.
The Emerald helps us to open and balance this energy center so that we may experience unconditional love.
Which Birthstone Is The Colombian Emerald Stone
Emerald is the traditional birthstone for May, so if you were born in May, this is the perfect stone for you. It is also a good choice for an anniversary present as emerald is used for commemorating the 20th and 35th wedding anniversaries. So, an emerald engagement ring might be the perfect choice for you.
What does the Natural Colombian Emerald Stone Symbolize?
- Truth: The Natural Colombian Emerald is a stone of truth, honesty, and integrity. It encourages you to be honest with yourself and others. It helps you to see that there is no place for lies or deception in your life. It also encourages you to be authentic and follow your heart. The Emerald helps you see the truth of things and is an excellent stone for those confused about what they want in life.
- Purity: The Colombian Emerald is a stone of purity. It helps you to be pure of heart and mind. It enables you to see your life as a reflection of who you are on the inside. The Emerald encourages you to be honest about what you want in life, who you are, and how far off course your current goals may be from what is important to you.
- Love: The Colombian Emerald is a stone of love. It helps you to find true love in your life and to stay faithful to it. The Emerald encourages you to have passion for the things that are important in your life, such as family and friends. The Emerald helps you to be more loving towards yourself and others. It brings out the best in those around you while allowing you to let go of old hurts or grudges. It is a stone that encourages compassion and understanding.
- Prosperity: The Colombian Emeraldbrings prosperity, abundance, and good luck. It helps you attract the things that are good for you and let go of those that aren’t so that you can enjoy life without guilt or regret. It is also a protective stone against thieves and accidents.
Colombian Emerald Stone Meaning And Uses
- The Colombian Emerald is a stone of love and compassion. It helps you to have more patience, tolerance, understanding, and self-love. It can help you to see the good in others and yourself, even when it is hard to find. The Colombian Emerald brings out the best in those around you.
- The Colombian Emerald is said to be a powerful stone for healing. It is a stone of vitality and energy that can restore your strength and stamina. It not only helps to heal the physical body but also the spiritual and emotional bodies. People believe it can help with healing from addiction or abuse, helping to remove the negative energies that hold you back in these areas.
- It helps to overcome depression, anxiety, and lethargy. It can help to remove negative emotions and thoughts and replace them with love and happiness.
- The Colombian Emerald can also help you to heal from past traumas and abuse. It helps you feel safe in the world again so you can move forward confidently in all aspects of your life.
- The Colombian Emerald will help you to overcome shyness and be more confident in social situations. It allows you to speak your truth and stand up for yourself when needed. It helps you to communicate your needs so they can be met in the best way possible.
- The Colombian Emerald helps you release the past so that you can confidently move forward into the future. It helps to overcome fear and anxiety about the future. You will feel more optimistic about your life in general.
- It will help you look at the world with new eyes and see all the possibilities available to you. You will feel more open-minded and less judgmental. The Colombian Emerald will help you to see things from a higher perspective. It allows you to overcome obstacles and challenges in your life by taking a more spiritual approach. You will feel more connected with your higher self, angels, and guides.
How To Clean Natural Colombian Emerald Jewelry?
Here is a relatively easy guide to keeping your Emerald jewelry spotless and lustrous!
- Soak in lukewarm soapy water for 15 – 30 minutes until the dirt and stains loosen up.
- Remove any remaining residues with a soft toothbrush until it appears spotless.
- Wipe the crystal with a microfiber cloth until it is smooth and lustrous.
- Cleanse it using burning sage to remove any negativity absorbed, which can negatively impact the surroundings.
- Recharge it using the moon’s light or burying it underground, whichever method suits you.
- Another way to preserve your Colombian Emerald gemstone is by cleaning it with a gentle dishwasher detergent or with a solution made from vinegar and water. This will keep your jewelry looking brand new and bring out a nice shine.
Be sure to cleanse the crystal before you use it. It will help you stay energized and keep negative energies at bay.
Which Gemstones Go Best With Natural Colombian Emerald?
With its vivid color and strong yet elegant energy, the Colombian Emerald stone is a gem that can be combined with almost any other gemstone.
It’s essential to consider the colors of both stones to create a complementary aesthetic. For example, yellow gold, white gold, rose gold, and platinum all look great with emeralds. Other gemstones that go well with it include Kyanite, Malachite, and Nephrite.
What Is Colombian Emerald Stone Good For?
Colombian emerald stones have very high brilliance, making them excellent for jewelry use. These green gems are also among the most versatile in terms of their prices and popularity. They are also said to attract love and promote positive thoughts while generating prosperity and healing heartbreak.
What Are The Healing Properties Of Colombian Emerald Stone?
People believe that Colombian Emerald stones are used for calming and soothing the mind, body, and emotions. It helps to balance negative emotions such as fear, anxiety, and worry. It is also said to heal emotional problems relating to childhood and past life issues and bring a sense of calm and tranquility.
Is Colombian Emerald Stone Heat Treated?
Heat treatment is used on many gemstones to enhance color and clarity.
Natural Colombian Emerald stone is not heat-treated. This means that they are not subjected to any process that alters the color or clarity of the gemstone. However, the process can irreversibly change the appearance of a gem and reduce its value. Therefore, it is essential to know if your gem has been heated or not before purchasing it.