Black Spinel Overview
Black spinel is a type of chalcedony that has often been mistaken for other gems like sapphire, diamond, and black onyx in the past. However, today it is appreciated as an individual gemstone.
The name “spinel” comes from the Latin word “spina,” which means thorn or spine. This name was given to this stone because of its resemblance to a thorny branch or spine. This article will take a look at the properties, uses, and meanings of the Black Spinel stone.
What Is A Black Spinel?
Spinel is a variety of corundum, an aluminum oxide mineral used in everything from jewelry to industrial abrasives. Black spinel is a gemstone from the spinel family, which includes ruby, sapphire, and spinel itself.
This spinel has a high refractive index of 1.712 – 1.736, making it highly brilliant and transparent. The color of this stone is pure black with no brown or purple undertones, as found in wide other varieties of spinel.
The Spinel stone is also harder than most other gems, making it more durable for daily wear and use. It is considered a precious stone because it can be found in large enough quantities to be used in jewelry making.
Although this stone’s use dates back to ancient times, its popularity did not become widespread until the 19th century, when demand for jewelry increased due to industrialization and urbanization across Europe and North America.
Black spinel is a stone with a deep and rich history.
It was first discovered in Sri Lanka. Ancient civilizations were drawn to the stone for its beauty and rarity but also because it had so many practical uses. It was used as currency by metalworkers in India, as well as in trade with China and Africa.
Ancient Egyptians used this gem for jewelry and amulets as early as the 4th millennium BCE. It has also been used in Burma since ancient times, where it was thought to bring good luck in battle if placed on an archer’s bowstring. The Romans also used Black spinel extensively in their jewelry designs throughout history, often pairing it with gold or silver to create elegant pieces of artistry.
In the Middle Ages, spinel was used to make rings for kings and queens all over Europe. A ring made from spinel was said to protect its wearer from disease, drowning, and fire.
Spinel was also believed to have healing properties: it was used to treat gout, rheumatism, and arthritis.
Black spinel is the most purist black with no flaws. It has a very dark, almost obsidian-like appearance.
The spinel crystal is deep and rich in color, and the banding that occurs naturally in this stone is visible. It does not contain inclusions or flaws like its close cousin ruby, which can have color zoning or cracks inside the stone.
This spinel can be found in various shades of black, ranging from jet black to charcoal gray to dark brownish-red, though the most prized are those with a genuine black hue without any tints or shadows of other colors.
Spinels are formed when natural pressures compress titanium dioxide into a gem-grade crystal. This process can take millions of years as the mineral is compressed into layers of thin-film silicon dioxide. The result is a tough gemstone that can withstand high temperatures without losing its beauty or luster.
Black spinel is a durable stone with a hardness of 8 on the Mohs scale. It is resistant to scratches but can be damaged by heat. Its density is 4.3g/cm3, which means that it’s not as heavy as some other stones it’s lighter than many types of glass.
|Chemical name||Magnesium Aluminum Oxide|
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||8|
|Refractive Index||1.712 – 1.736|
|Specific Gravity||3.58 – 3.61|
|Transparency||Transparent to opaque.|
Black spinel is found in the same places as other types of spinel, often mined in countries like:
Unfortunately, Black spinel is one of the most difficult-to-find gemstones on the market today because it’s not widely used in jewelry design.
Unlike diamonds or rubies, this gem is not easily found in jewelry stores due to its rarity in nature. The stone has been used as a gemstone since ancient times, but it wasn’t until the 20th century that it became more popular with jewelers and collectors alike.
These gems are a great addition to any collection because they are rare. The best way to find this gem is to check online auctions or specialty stores selling them.
Black Spinel vs. Black Onyx
Black spinel is often mistaken for Black Onyx. Both stones are durable and hard, making them well-suited for jewelry such as earrings and necklaces. In addition, the two stones are similar in appearance: their color is deep and dark.
Black spinels come from Australia and India. Black onyx comes from Brazil, Madagascar, Mexico, and Kenya.
This stone is an aluminum oxide gemstone with an octahedral crystal system. It has a vitreous luster (meaning it looks glossy) and usually occurs in shades of black but can also be found in browns. In jewelry, Black spinel is often used in smaller pieces for delicate, glittering designs.
In contrast, Black onyx is a variety of quartz. Onyx is more opaque than Black spinel due to its trigonal crystal system with a waxy luster. In jewelry, it is often used in bigger pieces.
Price & Value
Black spinel stone is one of the most valuable gemstones on the market. It’s a hard, durable gemstone that can be cut into many shapes. Spinel comes in many colors: pink, red, blue, and green. The black variety is rarer than other colors, which makes it more valuable.
Its value depends on the size, quality, and cut of the Spinel. These gems are typically faceted stones with a round, oval or square shape.
Size: The value of Black spinel depends on the size of the stone. Typically, larger stones are more valuable than smaller ones. However, small stones can still be quite valuable if they have an excellent cut or quality.
Quality: For a Black spinel to be considered high quality, it must have good clarity and transparency and good color saturation (meaning that there is little or no color variation within its surface).
Black spinel’s value depends on various factors. A one to two-carat stone could cost about $1200, with the price rising with an increase in size.
On the other hand, you’ll pay about $2400 for a 1-carat stone with no additional treatments such as heating or irradiation (HR).
How To Tell If It Is Real?
- The Scratch Test: Black spinel is rather hard and cannot be scratched by most materials. To check if your stone is genuine, you can use a diamond ring or fingernail to scratch the gemstone. For a real Black spinel, a diamond ring will leave a nick, whereas a fingernail will be unable to damage the stone.
- UV Radiation Light: If there is any UV radiation produced by your jewelry when you shine a UV light on them (especially if they are under 10x magnification), then they are most likely cubic zirconia or some other synthetic material and not actual Black spinel.
Black spinel is a stone connected to the Root Chakra or Muladhara Chakra. This chakra is located at the base of your spine, between your tailbone and pubic bone. It’s one of your body’s seven main energy centers, representing physical security and safety.
The energy of this chakra helps you feel grounded, secure, and connected to the earth. When it’s balanced, you feel safe within yourself—physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
This means that if your root chakra is balanced, you will have more confidence in yourself, leading to greater self-esteem!
Black Spinel has several metaphysical properties.
Black spinel is a powerful, protective stone. It can repel negative energy and keep you energized simultaneously, so it’s perfect for wearing in any situation where you need a little boost.
This gemstone is also associated with Saturn and Capricorn, which explains why it’s such an excellent stone for working through issues holding us back—and blocking our success.
Furthermore, ancient cultures used Black spinel to bring wisdom, clarity, and power; they believed this crystal could connect them with higher forces in the universe. So if you’re feeling stuck in your life or experiencing some emotional blockage that keeps you from moving forward, Black spinel can help break through those walls so you can live your best life possible!
Many believe this stone to be a potent stone that can help you release your truth, find your inner strength, and connect with the universe’s energy.
Additionally, Black spinel is an excellent stone for those who want to work on self-esteem. It can help remind you that you’re perfect just as you are and show you how to accept yourself despite all of your flaws.
Finally, Black spinel is also thought to be a powerful healer. It is said to help with issues like asthma, headaches, joint pain, and muscle tension.
Meaning And Uses
- Black spinel is not a very common gemstone, but it is highly valued due to its rarity. This beautiful stone can be used in jewelry and other fine goods, like watches or clocks.
- It’s also used in manufacturing industrial equipment, such as drill bits for metalworking.
- It is a powerful talisman and protective stone. It was believed to ward off misfortune, foul spirits, temptation, and nightmares.
- In ancient times it was used to protect against snake bites and scorpion stings, while in more modern times, it has become a symbol of love, passion, and fertility.
- It has also been known as ‘the stone of transition’ because it can help you move on from an old relationship or phase in your life into something more positive. If you are going through a difficult time, wearing this gem can provide emotional support.
- Ancient times were when it was first used for jewelry making. The Romans used this stone to make amulets to protect against evil spirits, while the Egyptians believed wearing Black spinel would help them communicate with their gods.
- This spinel stone is a very hard and durable gemstone, which makes it popular among jewelers today.
- It has since become one of the most sought-after gems available on the market today due to its rarity and beauty – both in cut and clarity.
- Black spinel has been used for centuries as a stone of protection and purification. It works by absorbing negativity, so this stone may keep you feeling balanced, calm, and positive.
How To Take Care Of Black Spinel Jewelry?
- Black spinel jewelry is effortless to clean and maintain. You can use a soft-bristled toothbrush with soapy water, but you should avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleansers that could damage the stone’s surface.
- If your jewelry has been exposed to smoke or chemical fumes, you should wipe it down with a damp cloth.
- If the piece has lost its sparkle, spray it with Windex and wipe away any dirt using a microfiber cloth.
- To cleanse negative energies from your jewelry: burn sage and visualize white light surrounding the stone.
- To recharge your stones, bury them in consecrated soil overnight during full moons, or pour salt water over them for a few minutes before washing off any residue that may have formed while they sat in their containers between uses.
What gemstones go well with black spinel?
Black spinel goes well with many different gemstones. You can pair it with rubies, sapphires, red spinel, garnet, topaz, or emeralds for a bold look that will make you feel like royalty. For a more subtle look, try pairing it with tourmaline or moonstone—they’re both great options.
Is Black Spinel a birthstone?
Black spinel is not a birthstone but is associated with the zodiac signs Sagittarius and Capricorn. Black Spinel represents these two signs because they share qualities such as ambition, independence, and determination—all characteristics that Black Spinel exudes when worn by its owner!
What does Black Spinel represent?
Black Spinel is associated with strength, protection against evil spells, and healing. It can be used to attract love and protect against psychic attacks. It also represents wisdom and good luck.
Is Black Spinel rarer than a diamond?
Black spinel is a gemstone that’s often confused with black diamonds, but it’s actually much rarer than diamonds. So it’s worth adding to your jewelry collection. It’s an excellent choice for those looking for an alternative to diamonds and other gemstones—and its rare means you’ll be sure to stand out from the crowd!
Is black Spinel heat treated?
The short answer is yes, Black spinel is heat treated.
Black spinel is a natural gemstone, but it can be treated to improve its color and durability. The most common way to do this is by heating the gem in an oven at high temperatures for several hours. This process makes the gemstone more durable and helps its color become more vivid.
What are the industrial Uses of Black Spinel
Black spinel is a stone that has been used for industrial purposes since the early 1900s. It is primarily used as an abrasive, meaning it’s used to remove or smooth away existing material on surfaces. It can be used for polishing metal and steel, for example. It’s also used in the manufacturing of semiconductors, electronic components, and other products that require high-quality finishing.