Green Sapphire Stone Overview
The Green Sapphire stone is a gem belonging to the Corundum family that has earned its reputation as one of the most beautiful crystals. It is widely used for jewelry and other accessories. The green color of the stone makes it stand out from its peers, adding to its popularity.
This article will details of the meanings, properties, and uses of the Green Sapphire stone
What is Green Sapphire Stone?
Sapphire is a precious gemstone made of aluminum oxide that has been the staple gem of nobles since ancient times. Now, it symbolizes abundance and tranquility in the household.
Green Sapphire is a rare coloration of the sapphire stone, which usually occurs in a vibrant blue color. Other interesting colorations of this stone include yellow, purple, and orange. Because of the rarity of green sapphires, they are even more sought after than regular sapphires and are more expensive as well.
Sapphires are the third hardest mineral, after diamond at ten and moissanite at 9.5. Because of this property, they’re used to make components for infrared optical equipment and high-durability machine parts such as watch crystals and bearings.
What is the origin of the name Green Sapphire?
The name sapphire comes from the Latin “saphirus” and the Greek “sapheiros,” which both mean blue.
The Green refers to the green color of the Sapphire.
What are some other names for The Green Sapphire Stone?
Green Sapphire is also known by the following names:
- Corindon hyalin
- Orientalisk Rubin
Historical and Cultural Significance
- According to Hindu tradition, wearing a green sapphire brings the planet Saturn into alignment with the wearer.
- For a 45th wedding anniversary, many people choose to give green sapphires.
- A sapphire jubilee occurs after 65 years. During the year-long celebration of Queen Elizabeth’s 65th anniversary on the throne, 2017 marked her sapphire jubilee.
- A superstition in Italy holds that green sapphires are amulets against eye problems and melancholy. Queen Mary of Scotland owned a medicinal sapphire worn as a pendant to rub sore eyes.
- Pope Innocent III decreed that rings of bishops should be made of pure gold, set with an unengraved green sapphire, as possessing the virtues and qualities essential to its dignified position as a seal of secrets, for there be many things “that a priest conceals from the senses of the vulgar and less intelligent; which he keeps locked up as it were under seal.”
- Since 1985, the green Sapphire has been officially recognized as the state gem of Queensland.
Where is It found?
Sapphire is found in many countries worldwide:
What are the physical properties of The Green Sapphire?
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||9|
|Refractive Index||1.76 – 1.77|
|Luster||Subadamantine, Vitreous, Pearly|
|Specific Gravity||3.95 to 4.03|
What is the typical appearance of The Green Sapphire?
The Green color of the Green Sapphire is caused due to the presence of a trace amount of iron. The presence of iron causes a very pale yellow to green color. In addition, the material can display blue-green dichroism if the atomic spacing is different in two directions.
Some Sapphires (Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tanzania, Colombia, and others) exhibit a tint under artificial light – the alexandrite effect, which is caused by the presence of chromium and vanadium; the intensity is related to the concentration of these elements.
The presence of rutile inclusions makes the stone shine, and needle-like inclusions cause it to appear star-shaped.
How can you tell if your Green Sapphire Stone is genuine or not?
Before you buy Green Sapphire stones online with that free shipping, make sure the gemstone is genuine.
The best way to tell if a gemstone is genuine is to have it appraised by reputable jewelers. However, there are some things you can look for when buying loose stones or jewelry that will help you to make a more informed decision.
- Color: The color of the Green Sapphire stone should be uniform and bright. If the color and saturation are not consistent, it may indicate that the stone has been dyed or some other treatment has been performed.
- Acetone Test: Do an acetone test. Soak in acetone for a few minutes to see if the color comes off. If it does, then it’s likely fake.
- Check for inclusions: Inclusions are natural flaws in the rock, even in natural Green Sapphire stones. If you look closely at your gemstone, you should be able to find them—small and irregularly shaped. If there aren’t any irregularities of this kind, it’s a fake. Sometimes the inclusions might not been seen by the naked eye.
- Check for weight: Check the weight of your Green Sapphire. If it’s too light, then it may be fake.
- Scratch Test: Do a scratch test. Kitchen knives shouldn’t leave a mark on hard stones with a rating of 6-7 or higher. Green Sapphire has a Mohs hardness of 9 and does not have cleavage.
The Green Sapphire Stone Cost and Value
Prices for Green sapphire start at about $20-30 per carat and go up depending on size and color. Clean beryllium-treated green Sapphire stones that weigh over 1 carat are usually priced around the $750-1000 mark.
Color is one of the most crucial factors in determining value. Most green sapphire stones are light or medium blue-green, but some can be darker forest green. Unenhanced stones are usually about $20 per carat for this color range. If you want a vivid emerald-like green, expect to pay over $100 per carat for the best quality. The brightest greens are the most expensive because they’re rarer than lighter shades. Olive-colored stones are also very valuable and highly prized.
The cut is also essential. The best emerald cut will allow the maximum light to enter your stone and reflect out, highlighting its color. The cut should be brilliant (shiny) and eye-clean (free from flaws). If you’re shopping for a faceted gemstone, it should reflect like a mirror when you hold it to the light. Cushion or pear-cut Sapphires are the most valuable in the market.
Size is also important. The bigger the stone, the more expensive it will be. The price per carat increases with the size of the gemstone. For example, a one-carat Green Sapphire stone is usually more costly than a half-carat one because fewer are available at any given time, and they take longer to find.
The highest quality gemstones are flawless. The closer a stone is to this ideal, the more it will cost per carat. However, many people like to have at least some imperfections (called inclusions) in their stones to identify them as natural rather than lab-created. These Inclusions are often visible only under magnification and don’t affect the beauty of a gemstone when viewed from afar.
Which Chakra does The Green Sapphire Stone Symbolize?
Green Sapphire is a stone of the Heart Chakra. It helps to open the heart and connect with our spiritual purpose in life. It brings peace and love into our lives, allowing us to see past our fears and live in the moment. The Green Sapphire stone also helps us recognize when we feel unworthy or unlovable, which can be highly damaging when these feelings become self-fulfilling prophecies. The color green represents balance and harmony in all things, including emotions, thoughts, actions, and connections with other people.
Where is the Heart Chakra located?
The Heart Chakra is in the center of your chest, between the bottom of your throat and your physical heart. It is associated with the color green.
What is another name for the Heart Chakra?
The Heart Chakra is also called the Anahata chakra, which means “unstruck” or “undefeated.”
What does The Green Sapphire Stone symbolize?
Green Sapphire symbolizes the following:
- Peace, tranquility, and harmony: Green Sapphire is a stone of inner peace, tranquility, and harmony. It helps you to maintain equilibrium in stressful situations and can be used to calm nervousness or irritability. It also promotes positive thinking, which is helpful if you want to overcome depression or anxiety.
- Serenity: Dark Green Sapphire stones represent serenity. They promote calmness and balance, which can help you relieve stress. The soothing energy of this crystal will soothe your emotions and gently remove any opposing thoughts or feelings.
- Openness to new experiences, creativity, and love: Green Sapphire Stone is said to open the mind so that you feel more receptive and open to new experiences. This crystal can encourage creativity, mainly for artistic endeavors like painting or writing. It also promotes feelings of love and compassion for others around you.
- Abundance and prosperity: Green Sapphire is a stone of abundance and prosperity. Its energy can help you attract wealth, prosperity, and abundance into your life, especially if you carry or wear it regularly. It’s also known for bringing success to business ventures.
- Healthy relationships: Green Sapphire is a stone of love and romance, which can help you attract a soul mate into your life. A Green Sapphire stone engagement ring is also said to promote feelings of passion and sexuality when used in meditation or worn as jewelry during sex. This crystal can encourage nurturing relationships with others, especially those close to your heart.
What are the uses of Green Sapphire?
Green Sapphire has the following uses:
- Green sapphire also protects against psychic attack, negative energy, and other forms of harm from outside sources. It helps one feel more confident in their skin, which can help them overcome shyness or self-conscious feelings about themselves or their appearance.
- Green Sapphire is a stone used to help bring balance and harmony to oneself. It is also a good stone for those trying to connect with their spirituality. Green Sapphire supports being more open-minded and tolerant of others and makes you more empathetic towards those around you.
- Green Sapphire is a powerful stone used in mystical practices for its healing, cleansing, and balancing properties. It is said to connect you to the Earth and encourage your presence in your body. It helps with creative thinking and intuition and can be used to help you find your truth.
- Green Sapphire is a powerful stone that can help you to heal and strengthen your relationship with the Earth while also helping you develop a deeper understanding of yourself. When you’re wearing a piece of Green Sapphire earrings, you’ll feel like you have a link between your physical self and the land around you.
- For many alternative medicine practitioners, green Sapphire ring is considered to be a powerful healing stone that can stabilize the body and soul. Wearing this gemstone allows the wearer to recover from strain, anxiety, and worry. It also provides comfort from the eye and skin-related illnesses.
- According to traditional Hindu astrology, a green sapphire gemstone benefits those who suffer from speech disorders or have trouble expressing themselves. Because Green Sapphire is a “vaani-karaka” (one of the planet’s gems that are believed to affect speech), Green Sapphire has been intensely relied upon by astrologers to develop social abilities in children.
How to clean your Green Sapphire Jewelry?
Some simple methods for cleaning Green Sapphire Jewelry are listed below:
- Wipe the jewelry with a microfiber cloth and warm water, just as you would for any other piece of jewelry.
- If your Green Sapphire Jewelry has been worn frequently or is dirty from everyday wear, you can use mild dish soap to clean it. Make sure that the soap does not contain bleach!
- Rub some alcohol onto a soft cloth and use this to clean the surface of the gemstone—this will keep it looking shiny!
- Cleanse it using burning sage to remove any negativity absorbed, which can negatively impact the surroundings.
- There are various ways to recharge your amulet, including immersing it in moonlight or burying it underground.
It’s essential to cleanse the Green Sapphire before using it—the process keeps you energized and helps keep negative energies at bay.
Green Sapphire should not be exposed to household chemicals or heat, damaging it or changing its color.
What is the highest quality Green Sapphire?
Sri Lankan Blue Green Sapphires from the corundum family of gemstones are highly prized for their high quality and beauty. In addition, they command a higher market value than other gemstones because of their rarity. In the USA, green sapphires from Montana are of the highest value.
Why do people wear Green Sapphire?
Green sapphire gemstones help their wearers dispel anxiety and negative thoughts. They promote positivity and calmness, which assist people in dealing with emotional healing. Due to its ruling planet Mercury, this gemstone is well known for enhancing the mental capabilities of its wearer.
What other gemstones go along well with Green Sapphires?
Gemstones such as yellow topaz, orange sapphire, and pink tourmaline can go well with Green Sapphires. These combinations help accentuate the green color of the gem while adding a unique flare to its overall appearance.
Cushion-cut Green Star sapphires also go well with Ruby or Blue Sapphires in a platinum setting.
Spiritually, these stones are a good fit for gems like Carnelian, Bloodstone, and Sardonyx.
What are the harmful effects of Green Sapphires?
Green Sapphires are generally considered to be very beneficial. However, they can also have some adverse effects on their wearers. People wearing this gemstone excessively can cause them to become overly emotional. This may lead to unpredictable behavior and erratic thinking patterns.