Black Kyanite Overview
Black Kyanite is a stunning variety of Kyanite that can be found in different shades of black, ranging from great to jet-black.
It’s known for its calming and soothing properties, which make it an excellent choice for meditation or other spiritual practices. It is the centerpiece of many people’s collections because of its strong color and alleged medicinal properties.
This article will talk about the properties, meanings, and uses of Black Kyanite.
What Is Black Kyanite?
Black Kyanite is a beautiful grey gemstone that has been used as an ornamental stone and in jewelry since ancient times. It holds great value in the eyes of enthusiasts and casual hobbyists alike.
Historically, it was thought to have magical powers and was used to ward off evil spirits and curses. Today, it’s still used in crystal healing and meditation practice because it’s said to help release negative energy and encourage good luck.
Black Kyanite symbolizes protection and healing for different cultures. Furthermore, crystal healers often use it because of its powerful connection to the root chakra.
Black Kyanite is a variety of the mineral Kyanite, a silicate of aluminum. It was named and discovered in 1789 by Abraham Gottlob Werner, who was studying rocks in Germany.
The name Kyanite comes from the Greek word ‘kyanos’, which means blue.
It was initially known as disthene because it has two different chemical compositions and properties.
Black Kyanite is a rare, fibrous variety of Kyanite that forms long black threads. It is a stone with an appearance that can range from dull and flaky to shiny, glossy, and dark.
The stones are often found in fan shapes with elongated crystals and a waxy luster. They’re also sometimes found as massive formations polished into spheres or carved into beads.
In general, Kyanite is colorless or blue. Blue Kyanite is commonly found in small pieces, ranging from light blue to dark blue, sometimes even as purple or lavender.
Black Kyanite is one of the rarer forms of this gemstone. Its color varies from dark to light, depending on its purity and crystal structure. The more impurities present in the mineral (such as iron), the darker its color will be. It can range from almost pure black to brownish-black when it contains significant iron or manganese impurities.
Still, most specimens are pure enough to appear transparent or translucent with a slight blue-gray tint when light passes through them at certain angles. It forms in granular masses and has a vitreous luster. It also occurs as tiny crystals and as massive aggregates.
Black Kyanite is an aluminum-rich silicate mineral that occurs in triclinic crystals. It has a Mohs hardness of about 4.5-7 and a specific gravity of 3.67-3.70.
Black Kyanite is anisotropic, meaning it has different properties depending on which direction it’s cut from. When cut parallel to its c-axis (the longest dimension), it has a hardness of 4.5-5 on the Mohs scale and shows a brilliant luster with a vitreous luster.
When cutting perpendicular to its c-axis, it has a hardness of 6-7 on the Mohs scale and shows a dull/waxy luster.
It is strongly piezoelectric and pyroelectric, meaning it can be used in the detection of sound waves and changes in temperature.
|Mineral Group||Kyanite Group|
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||5.5 – 7|
|Refractive Index||1.71 – 1.73|
|Specific Gravity||3.53 – 3.67|
Black Kyanite is found in metamorphic rocks, as well as in igneous and sedimentary rocks. In addition, Kyanite is found in sedimentary rocks, pegmatites, and contact metamorphic zones.
Pegmatites are coarse-grained, intrusive igneous rocks that form in magma chambers. They have a high water content and are usually found at the edges of tectonic plates.
It is also found in the following:
How Is It Formed?
Black Kyanite crystal is formed in contact metamorphic zones. However, it can also originate from hydrothermal fluids and igneous rocks. The process starts when carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and oxygen react together to form methane.
The methane then reacts with water to form carbonic acid. The carbonic acid then reacts with silicate minerals to create an insoluble salt called Kyanite.
This reaction can occur at different temperatures, depending on how much heat is in the environment. If there is little heat in the environment, Black Kyanite will develop slowly and steadily.
However, if there is a lot of heat in the environment, Black Kyanite will develop quickly.
How To Tell If Black Kyanite Is Real?
If you are questioning whether or not your Kyanite is real, it will help to do a scratch test. Kyanite has variable hardness (4.5-7), which can be tricky. One way to determine if your crystal is genuine is to scratch it with a coin.
The Kyanite should scratch in places with a hardness of 4, but not in other areas. Imitation kyanite is usually made of glass and quartz. Both materials are too hard to be scratched by a coin at all.
Another method is to look at the crystal’s cleavage. If it has perfect unidirectional cleavage, then it’s most likely real. Unidirectional cleavage means that the crystal has perfect cleavage in two directions.
Finally, you can look at the price. Real black Kyanite costs more than synthetic versions because it’s rarer and harder to find. So if you’re looking at a piece that’s much cheaper than what you would expect, given its size, shape, and quality, then it may be false.
Price & Value
The price of Black Kyanite crystal can range from $20 to $100 per carat, depending on its quality and size. The larger the piece, the more expensive it will be.
Luster: The most valuable Black Kyanites are those with a high luster, which means they sparkle when they catch the light. They also have a deeper, more intense color than other black gems.
Cut: If you are looking for a particular shape, such as a cabochon or oval cut, you can expect to pay more than if you were looking for a small specimen.
Color: Black Kyanite’s value will depend mainly on how dark the stone is and how many inclusions it contains. These can be bubbles or cracks within the crystal itself or foreign matter trapped inside when it was being formed during mining operations. Blue Kyanite is more valuable and sought after than black.
Quality: The best crystals have high clarity ratings and are free from any imperfections, such as cracks or chips in the outer layer of the stone (which could cause them to break easily).
Black Kyanite is a stone of the first chakra, the Root Chakra. This chakra is located at the base of your spine, and it’s associated with survival instincts and security. Its name means “base” or “foundation.”
When this chakra is blocked or imbalanced, one may feel disconnected from others or ourselves. It is said to help you connect with your true self to find peace within.
The black color of Black Kyanite is associated with grounding energy that connects us with our earth elements and resources on a physical level; this makes it an excellent stone for grounding during meditation practice.
This stone also helps us open up lines of communication between ourselves and others.
- Many consider Black Kyanite to be a stone that can help you tap into your psychic abilities. Black Kyanite is often used in crystal healing practices to help with anxiety, depression, and stress.
- In addition, the stone is thought to be a very powerful stone for healing. Alternate medicine practitioners use it to remove blockages in the physical body. It is also believed to heal emotional wounds and release negative feelings.
- Many believe that Black Kyanite is a powerful stone that helps to protect you from negative energy. It is said to help dissipate the effects of stress and anxiety, as well as help you get rid of negative thoughts and emotions.
- It is also believed to improve mental clarity and intuition, making it an excellent choice for people who require extra focus.
- Many believe that Black Kyanite is a powerful healing stone with high-energy vibrations that clear away unwanted energies and emotional blockages and help align your qi with the Earth’s energy.
- It can help you to feel more grounded and connected to the Earth. In addition, it is considered a good stone for helping you to release your emotions, especially anger.
- Black Kyanite is believed to be a great stone for clearing negativity from all chakras and helping us let go of anger, resentment, or frustration.
- Additionally, this crystal is said to strengthen the aura and protect the wearer from outside influences. The stone is also thought to help eliminate bad habits and negative behavior patterns, such as smoking and substance abuse.
- Furthermore, Black Kyanite is a wonderful stone for dream recall. It can help you remember your dreams more easily and clearly, so you can use them as guidance in your daily life.
- Black Kyanite is associated with Libra, Aries, and Mercury.
- Black Kyanite is thought to be a stone of empathy, helping you to connect with others in a deeply compassionate way.
- Black Kyanite is a gemstone used for centuries to provide protection, balance, and grounding.
- It is often referred to as the “stone of transformation” because it is said to help you move past old patterns into new ways of being.
- This stone can be an abrasion-resistant material in electronics, ceramics, and paints.
- Black Kyanite crystals can be polished into gemstones, but it’s much more commonly used as an ornamental stone because of their unique appearance (which looks like black silk).
- It is also used as an abrasive material for polishing metals because it doesn’t wear down quickly like many other minerals do (like iron pyrite).
- It is also used in refractory products, such as cookware and pottery.
- The primary use of Black Kyanite today is as a high-temperature lubricant for automobiles and trains. The mineral can withstand temperatures up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, which makes it incredibly useful for applications where extreme heat is involved—which is perfect for motors and engines!
- Kyanite is a gemstone that has a wide range of uses. It is often used in the ceramics and porcelain industries for its durability and ability to withstand heat.
- Kyanite is also used in manufacturing glass, plastics, and jewelry.
How to keep Black Kyanite Clean
Black kyanite jewelry is a beautiful and popular gemstone, but the black color means that it’s prone to staining. No worries—here are some easy ways to clean your black kyanite jewelry!
- Soak your black kyanite jewelry in warm water and dish soap for five minutes, then rinse with water. The soap will help lift any dirt or grime from the stone and make it easier to clean later.
- Try scrubbing the surface of your piece with a toothbrush or soft cloth dipped in warm water. This will help remove stains from the stone’s surface without damaging or dulling its shine.
- Never use chemicals or abrasives on the stone.
- Don’t soak it in water for extended periods, don’t put it in an ultrasonic cleaner or steam cleaner, and don’t place it in a jewelry cleaning machine (the heat from the motor will be too hot).
What gemstones go well with black Kyanite?
Black Kyanite goes well with black spinel, black onyx, and black tourmaline.
Black spinel: This gemstone is also well-known for its dark color and can be combined with black Kyanite in a necklace or bracelet.
Black onyx: This gemstone has a similar color to black Kyanite but is less expensive. It can be used as an accent piece in a necklace or bracelet made from black Kyanite.
Black tourmaline: This gemstone is also popular for its dark color, though it’s more expensive than black onyx or spinel. It can be combined with black Kyanite in a necklace or bracelet.
How to cleanse Black Kyanite?
You can cleanse Black Kyanite by placing it in the full moon overnight. Or you can bury it in soil and leave it there for a few days, dig it up and wash it off.
You might also want to cleanse your Black Kyanite by placing it under running water for about ten minutes.
What are the healing properties of Black Kyanite?
Black Kyanite is a powerful stone believed to help you with your physical healing.
It’s been said that black Kyanite can boost your immune system and help you fight off infections. It has also been thought to treat arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.
In addition, if you are dealing with any emotional or mental issues, black Kyanite may be able to help. It’s believed that it can help bring clarity and perspective when faced with difficult situations or decisions.