Chrome Diopside Overview
Chrome Diopside is a variety of the Diopside family that is highly sought after due to its rare coloration. This gem takes its color from chrome impurities.
This article will dive into the details of the properties, meanings, and uses of the Chrome Diopside gemstone.
What is Chrome Diopside?
Chrome Diopside is a very rare stone that shows a beautiful green coloration that is well-known in the gemstone community for its lustrous appearance and deep, velvety hue.
This gemstone relates to the heart chakra and helps the wearer connect to their inner generosity and innocence. Although it is a bit delicate, it makes up for its shortcomings with its excellent properties and visual appeal.
Diopside is a monoclinic calcium-rich pyroxene mineral with the composition MgCaSi2O6. It forms solid solution series with hedenbergite (FeCaSi2O6) and augite, but only partial ones with orthopyroxene and pigeonite. It is one of the most common members of a group called pyroxenes.
Chrome-Diopside is a green-colored type of Diopside containing significant amounts of chromium. The usual weight of cut chrome diopside stones is 1 – 20 carats. In jewelry-industrial applications, the compact variety is used.
What is the origin of the name Chrome Diopside?
The name Chrome Diopside consists of two parts “Chrome” and “Diopside.” The Chrome part refers to the presence of Chrome in the Diopside. Diopside comes from the Greek dis, “twice,” and òpsè, “face,” which refers to the two ways of orienting its vertical prism.
Diopside was first discovered and described in about 1800 by Brazilian naturalist Jose Bonifacio de Andrada e Silva.
What are some other names for Chrome Diopside?
Some other names for Chrome Diopside are:
- Chrome bearing Diopside
- Chromian Diopside
Geological Occurrence and Significance
Chrome diopside is a common constituent of peridotite xenoliths and dispersed grains which are often found near kimberlite pipes. Diamond prospectors find it an excellent indicator for finding diamonds in the Earth’s crust.
Chrome Diopside is found in ultramafic igneous rocks—such as kimberlite and peridotite—and also occurs within mafic rocks, such as olivine basalts and andesites. Diopside is also found in metamorphic rocks, such as contact-metamorphosed skarns developed from high silica dolomites.
It is an essential mineral in the Earth’s mantle and is commonly found in peridotite xenoliths that have been slowly released from within kimberlite or alkali basalt.
Where is Chrome Diopside found?
Chrome Diopside is found in many countries worldwide, including:
What are the physical properties of Chromium Diopside?
Chromium Diopside has the following properties:
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||5 – 6|
|Refractive Index||1.668 – 1.703|
|Specific Gravity||3.22 – 3.40|
Chrome diopside gemstone is colored by chromium, one of the elements in emeralds that gives them their deep green color. This rich hue and its high refraction provide these gems with sparkling brilliance.
The brilliance and color of Chrome Diopside depend on the cut. Therefore, it is crucial to cut its facets with shallow angles in larger sizes where the color can appear too dark.
The gem’s dark green color gives rise to the nickname “Siberian emeralds,” although on a mineralogical level, they are entirely unrelated—emeralds being precious stones, diopside semi-precious ones.
Price and Value
Chrome diopside can be obtained quickly and affordably, making it a great addition to any collection or simply a beautiful green rock. Its price ranges from $7 to $80 per carat, depending on the quality of the setting and stone. Due to their rarity in the market, Diopsides from Siberia are highly-priced.
The cost of Chrome Diopside depends on the following factors:
- Size: Large gemstones tend to be darker in color than small ones. Because of this, large stones often make poor jewelry because their dark tone doesn’t enhance the pendant as much as lighter. For the best color and brilliance, this gem should be under 2 carats.
- Quality: A gemstone’s number of inclusions and imperfections indicates its quality. Clarity is also crucial when evaluating the worthiness of gemstones. A clear stone will cost more than one with many inclusions.
- Color: The color of the gemstone affects its price. The more vibrant and intense the shade, the higher value it has. Also, certain shades are rarer than others, affecting overall value.
- Cut: The cut of a gemstone is just as important as its other qualities. Cut can significantly affect the value and appearance of a stone, sometimes making it worth hundreds or thousands more than similar pieces with comparable color, clarity, and carat weight. The most common shapes for chrome diopside are oval and emerald; however, your choice of shape should depend on your preference. Cabochons are also one of the more desirable cuts.
How can a person tell if Chrome Diopside is Real or Not?
The following points should be noted to tell whether the Chrome diopside is real or not:
- Color: If the color is not uniform or bright, this may indicate that it has been dyed and treated.
- Acetone Test: Do an acetone test. Soak in acetone for a few minutes to see if the color comes off. If it does, then it’s likely fake.
- Check for inclusions: Inclusions are natural flaws in the rock, even in natural Chrome diopside stones. If you look closely at your gemstone, you should be able to find them—small and irregularly shaped. If there aren’t any irregularities of this kind, it’s a fake.
- Check for weight: Check the weight of your Chrome diopside. If it’s too light, then it may be fake.
Chrome diopside is a stone of the heart chakra. It helps us to open our hearts and connect with others, as well as ourselves. Because it brings balance between mind, body, and spirit, chrome diopside can help us become more grounded and feel less anxious or stressed.
Where is the Heart Chakra located?
The heart chakra is usually located in the center of the chest, between the breasts. It’s associated with love and compassion and is responsible for our emotional well-being.
What is another name for the Heart Chakra?
The heart chakra is also known as the fourth Chakra or Anahata. The color associated with Anahata is green.
What Does It Symbolize?
Chrome Diopside symbolizes the following:
- Love and compassion: Chrome Diopside is an excellent crystal to help us connect with and open our hearts. It can help us feel more loving, compassionate, and understanding of others. It’s also an excellent tool for healing emotional wounds or trauma and can help us forgive ourselves or others when we’ve done something that causes hurt feelings.
- Purity and innocence: Chrome Diopside can help us feel pure and innocent again. It’s an excellent crystal for those hurt by others or who have had difficult life experiences that make them feel “hardened” or jaded. It can help renew our sense of innocence and wonder about the world.
- Selfless giving and generosity: Chrome Diopside can help us let go of self-doubt and embrace a more generous, giving attitude. It’s an excellent crystal for those who want to be more compassionate toward others but feel like they don’t have the resources to provide. It helps us find ways to express our love for others, even if we’re not sure how or where to start.
- Honesty and loyalty: Chrome Diopside is an excellent crystal for those who want to be more honest with themselves and others. It helps us let go of our fears about being vulnerable and encourages us to express our true feelings. It can help us become more loyal friends and partners by reminding us that loyalty means sticking with someone through their struggles rather than abandoning them when things get complicated. It’s beneficial for those who have a habit of going through friends like tissues or are prone to being mean and judgmental.
- Creativity and intuition: Chrome Diopside is one of the most powerful crystals for increasing our creativity. It can help us tap into our inner artist so that we can express ourselves in ways that feel natural and free. It’s beneficial for those feeling blocked or stuck in their creative endeavors. It can also help us connect more deeply with our intuition, helping us make better decisions based on what feels suitable rather than what looks good on paper.
Meanings and uses
Chrome Diopside has the following uses:
- It promotes intellectual growth, mental clarity, and original thinking. It earrings can help us access our natural gifts for art, design, or music and create higher levels of consciousness or spirituality.
- It is a stone of the mind and body. It cleanses and clears, revealing the path to enlightenment. It soothes emotions, which allows for more clarity in decision-making. This calming stone encourages insights and creativity, bringing about spiritual growth.
- It is said to contain the power of light and to bring clarity of mind. It encourages one to embrace beauty in all its forms, be it a flower, a person, or even a thought. As such, it helps one to feel connected to others and be more empathetic.
- It is a powerful stone used in metaphysical healing modalities to clear energy blocks and assist in developing a sense of confidence, independence, and self-worth. It helps to reduce feelings of self-doubt, stress, and depression. The energy of Chrome Diopside inspires positive action in the face of challenges, allowing you to see things clearly so that you can act on your intuition and make changes in your life when needed.
- It is a beautiful stone for transformation and change, as it quickly removes old energy and opens the way for new, exciting opportunities. It also aids in healing emotional wounds that have been around a long time and are so deep they may not be consciously remembered. Chrome Diopside will help to bring these out into the light so they can be healed with the aid of self-love.
- It is a wide-band frequency crystal that enhances the energy vibrations of the physical, mental, and emotional bodies. It brings a feeling of lightness and ease, giving one insight into their complexity. It would be wise to carry a diopside bracelet that can be placed on your altar or taped to the Chakra that needs healing to help resolve issues.
- Its energy enhances the ability to communicate, making it an excellent stone for writers and speakers in particular. It will also aid shy or introverted people by helping them come out of their shells.
How to clean Chrome Diopside Jewelry?
Here are some steps to help your Chrome Diopside jewelry retain its beauty.
- One of the simplest ways to cleanse a Chrome Diopside is by running it under cool water.
- Soak the stained area in warm water. Then scrub it gently with a soft toothbrush until all traces of the stain are gone.
- Polish the crystal with a microfiber cloth until it shines.
- Cleanse your stone using burning sage to remove any negativity absorbed, which can negatively impact the surroundings. There is no perfect method for cleansing stones; you’ll have to research and experiment with different ways at home until you find the best technique.
- There are various ways to recharge your amulet, including immersing it in moonlight or burying it underground. Give it six hours, but overnight is ideal.
Although most ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are safe, some precautions should be taken. For example, it’s best to keep Chrome Diopside jewelry apart from other pieces so as not to damage its finish.
Is Chrome Diopside Valuable?
The good news is that chrome diopside is more affordable than other green gemstones, such as emeralds. This makes Chrome Diopside an excellent choice for people who want to buy something luxuriously colored but don’t want to spend much money.
What gem family does Chrome Diopside belong to?
Chrome diopside is a chromium-rich, transparent to translucent variety of gemstone-quality calcium magnesium silicate. Chrome Diopside belongs to the pyroxene family and is one of the rarer varieties in that group.
What other gemstones go along with Chrome Diopside?
Chrome diopside is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to wear green jewelry but doesn’t want to spend much money. It goes well with emeralds (which are also usually chromium-rich), tsavorite garnet, and other green gemstones.
They also go well with the Tourmaline family, especially Chrome Tourmaline.
It also goes well with other green gemstones, such as Chrysoprase.
What are the side effects of Chrome Diopside?
Chrome diopside is a relatively safe gemstone to wear. Chrome Diopside can cause skin irritation if you have an allergy or sensitivity to chromium, but this is rare. If you are concerned about allergies, ensure your chrome diopside is checked by a professional before wearing it in any form of jewelry.