Blue Tourmaline Overview
Blue Tourmaline, also known as Indicolite, is a beautiful blue gemstone from the Tourmaline family. The color of this gemstone can range from light to dark blue, with the darker shades being more valuable.
It is a beautiful stone that is perfect for people who love the color blue. It’s an excellent gift for those who love to wear jewelry and can be a wonderful addition to your collection of gemstones.
It is also an excellent stone for those who want to add color to their life. This article will go into depth about the properties, meanings, and uses of the Blue Tourmaline stone.
How Did Blue Tourmaline get its name?
Tourmaline was given several names, including “Pierre de Ceylan” (or “Sri Lanka Stone”) by Lemery in 1717. Rinmann used the name “Tourmalin” in 1766 to describe all minerals of this group. Still, his usage was not widely adopted until Hill called the gemstone “Tourmaline Garnet,” and Richard Kirwan shortened it to simply “Tourmaline” in 1794.
Blue Tourmaline is also called Indicolite or Indigo Tourmaline because of its indigo-like hue.
How Is It Formed?
Tourmaline is created when magma is subjected to extreme pressure and temperature. As the magma rises through the earth’s crust, it cools and crystallizes into crystals. These crystals form in large masses called pegmatites and contain many trace elements, for example, lithium, iron, boron, etc.
Tourmaline is found in these pegmatites and other metamorphic rocks, such as marble. Tourmaline can also be found in sandstone in trace amounts.
Lithium-rich Tourmaline is found in many colors, including blue or indigo.
Some specimens of Blue Tourmaline are so dark that they appear almost black, while others are so light that they are practically transparent. It is most commonly found in shades of indigo or teal blue, but it can also be found in turquoise or greenish-blue hues. The color of the stone usually depends on the amount and type of impurities present during formation.
Where Can You Find It?
Blue Tourmaline can be found in many places around the world.
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||7 – 7.5|
|Refractive Index||1.614 – 1.666|
|Specific Gravity||3.05 – 3.11|
Blue Tourmaline Value
The value of Blue Tourmaline is influenced by its size, cut, and overall quality.
- Size: The cost of Blue Tourmaline stone increases as the size of the gem increases since larger stones are more difficult to find and cut than smaller ones.
- Clarity: A gemstone’s number of inclusions and imperfections indicates its clarity. Transparency is also crucial when evaluating the worthiness of Blue Tourmaline. A clear stone will cost more than one with many inclusions.
- Color: The color of Blue Tourmaline affects its price. The bolder and brighter the color is, the more expensive it tends to be.
- Cut: The cut of a gemstone is another factor that affects its price. Uncut Tourmaline stones are worth much less than those cut into specific shapes like ovals, rounds, or squares.
How To Tell If It Is Real?
If you have your knowledge of minerals, then you can quickly identify authentic Blue Tourmaline. However, if you don’t know much about stones or gems, here are some things that will help.
- Color: The color of Blue Tourmaline should be uniform and bright. If the color is inconsistent, it may indicate that the stone has been dyed or some other treatment has been performed.
- Acetone Test: Do an acetone test. Soak in acetone for 15 minutes to an hour to see if the color comes off. If it does, then it’s likely fake.
- Check for inclusions: Inclusions are natural flaws in the rock, even in natural Blue Tourmaline stones. If you look closely at your gemstone, you should be able to find them small and irregularly shaped. If there aren’t any irregularities of this kind, it’s a fake.
- Scratch Test: Do a scratch test. Kitchen knives shouldn’t leave a mark on hard stones with a rating of 6-7 or higher. Blue Tourmaline has a Mohs hardness of 7 to 7.5, so it should not have any marks.
If you are unsure, bring it to an expert to verify.
Blue Tourmaline Chakra Connection
Third Eye Chakra
Blue Tourmaline is strongly associated with the Third Eye Chakra. It is also known as Ajna and is located between your eyebrows in the center of your head. The Third Eye Chakra relates to intuition, imagination, and enlightenment. It is responsible for helping you to see the bigger picture in your life and can help you to make better decisions.
If this Chakra is blocked, you may feel disconnected from the world around you. It is essential to keep this Chakra open and robust to achieve a deeper understanding of yourself, your surroundings, and the universe as a whole.
Blue Tourmaline will balance and open the Third Eye Chakra and is an excellent crystal to use if you want to improve your psychic abilities or intuition. It will allow you to make better decisions. The stone can also be used as an aid for astral travel and lucid dreaming, as well as helping you to connect with spirit guides during meditation.
Blue is associated with this Chakra, so wearing this Tourmaline stone can help keep it clear and balanced.
Blue Tourmaline is also related to the Throat Chakra. The Throat Chakra is also called Vishuddha and is located at the base of the neck. This Chakra is associated with self-expression, communication, and creativity. It is also linked to our ability to communicate with others telepathically, which makes it a vital energy center for people who wish to develop their psychic abilities or are interested in astral travel and lucid dreaming.
Disruption in this Chakra can manifest as communication and self-expression problems, including speech issues. It can also show up as a feeling of being unable to understand or express yourself, leading to frustration or depression. We feel as if we are being misunderstood and undervalued. It can also cause us to be overly critical of ourselves or others.
We can help keep this Chakra clear and balanced by wearing or carrying Blue Tourmaline. It will strengthen your communication skills, which will help you to express yourself better and make it easier for others to understand what you are saying.
What does Blue Tourmaline Symbolize?
- Harmony and peace: Blue Tourmaline helps you to find the balance between your spiritual and physical nature. It represents the union of heaven and earth, making it a stone of great power. It is also said to be able to connect us with our higher self and guide us along our path in life.
- Emotional balance: Blue Tourmaline is a stone of emotional balance. It can help to relieve stress and anxiety, as well as aid in the release of pent-up negative emotions such as anger or resentment. It’s also said to be great for opening up communication between people with relationship issues, especially when talking about problems rather than arguing over them.
- Meditation: Blue Tourmaline is a stone of meditation. It’s said to help us focus our attention during meditation and achieve deeper states of consciousness. It can aid in opening the third eye, which allows us to connect with our higher self and spirit guides.
- Clarity: Blue Tourmaline is a stone of clarity. It can help us see things more clearly and make better decisions, especially when facing decision fatigue or feeling overwhelmed by too many options. It can help us get in touch with our intuition and listen to what it has to say about the choices before us.
Blue Tourmaline Meaning And Uses
- Blue Tourmaline is a stone of prosperity and abundance. It manifests what we want out of life, whether those are material possessions or relationships. It can also be used to shield us against negative energy and keep away unwanted influences.
- Blue Tourmaline is a stone of protection. It’s said to protect against psychic attacks and negative energy in general. It can be used to help us ward off hostile intentions and danger, so it’s a good idea to keep one in your office or at home if you feel like there are negative forces working against you.
- Blue Tourmaline is also thought to be helpful in healing the body, mind, and spirit. It boosts our energy levels and helps us stay positive during difficult times. This stone also has a calming effect on the mind and body, so it can be helpful in relieving stress or anxiety. It can also help make you more confident in yourself.
- Blue Tourmaline can boost your creativity, help you get through difficult periods in life, and allow you to see new possibilities for the future. It’s said to help you find your passion and dreams in life, as well as help you live up to them.
- It’s also said to help us let go of old regrets and wounds that still linger within us so that we can move on with our lives. If there’s something in your past that’s still bothering you, Blue Tourmaline l will help you move through it so that it doesn’t keep coming back over and over again.
- Blue tourmaline is a wonderful crystal when you need to feel connected to the earth. It can help you get grounded and clear your mind of stress to focus on important tasks. It’s also a wonderful crystal to use when you want to feel more secure and stable in your life. It can help you find your place in the world, as well as help you find out what makes you happy. If any changes are to be made for you to live a happier life, blue tourmaline will help guide those changes.
- Blue tourmaline is also suitable for the workplace because it brings about trust, harmony, and communication between all parties involved. If someone in your life is causing issues or drama, wearing blue tourmaline can help you separate yourself from their negative energy and stay calm.
How To Clean Blue Tourmaline Jewelry?
Taking good care of your Blue Tourmaline jewelry is crucial if you want to use it for a long time. Here are some steps to clean your gemstone.
- Firstly, soak your stone or jewelry in lukewarm soapy water for 15 minutes to loosen up any dirt or stain on its surface.
- Gently brush off all the stains using a soft toothbrush until it is smooth and clean.
- Use a microfiber cloth to dry and wipe the stone until it shines.
- Always store your gemstone jewelry in a cool and dry place.
- You can cleanse the stone using burning sage to remove any negativity absorbed, which can negatively impact the surroundings.
- To recharge your stone, bury it in the ground for a night. It would be best if you did this at least once a month to keep your crystal at its highest potential.
Which Gemstones Go Best With Blue Tourmaline?
Blue Tourmaline also goes well with other blue gems such as Topaz and Aquamarine and green ones like Emerald and Jade.
Since they are both from the same family, Blue and Black Tourmaline make a good pair as well.
If you wear it with another gemstone, ensure they’re different shades of blue so they don’t look muddy together.
What Is Blue Tourmaline Good For?
Blue tourmaline can be used for protection and healing purposes. It is believed to help ward off negative energy and bring about peace and harmony in your life. It can also balance emotions, relieve stress and anxiety, improve communication skills, and promote self-confidence.
What Are The Healing Properties Of Blue Tourmaline?
Blue tourmaline is known for its healing properties. It is said to alleviate depression and anxiety and lift your spirits. The stone is also said to relieve stress, as it can help you feel calmer in times of high pressure or when overwhelmed by one’s responsibilities. In addition, it’s said that Blue Tourmaline can promote healthy sleep patterns as well.
Is Blue Tourmaline Heat Treated?
Blue Tourmaline is usually heat treated to improve color. The stone is heated in a furnace, which causes the hue to become more intense. The heat also makes the stone less brittle and helps it resist cracking.