Spectrolite is a beautiful and unique gemstone known for its exceptional play of color. It is a variety of labradorite feldspar, a stone that displays a range of vibrant colors, including shades of blue, green, red, and purple, as light reflects off its layers.
It is highly prized for its striking appearance and is often used in jewelry and decorative objects. It is also a popular choice among collectors due to its rarity and beauty.
In general, it is a gemstone that is admired for its unique properties and is highly sought after for its mesmerizing play of color. This article will take a look into the properties, meanings, and uses of the Spectrolite gemstone.
What Is Spectrolite?
Spectrolite is an uncommon variety of labradorite, a stone known for its unique, iridescent coloration. It is a variation of labradorite, which is a common mineral found in igneous rocks. Spectrolite is most commonly found in Finland, where the mineral family was first discovered in the 1940s.
It is used in jewelry making and other decorative arts and is known for its beautiful, shimmering colors that range from blues and greens to purples and reds. The iridescent coloration is caused by the presence of microscopic inclusions in the mineral, which diffract light and create the shimmering effect.
It is also believed to have spiritual and healing properties and is used in crystal healing practices to help balance the chakras and promote overall well-being. It is said to be connected to the throat chakra, which symbolizes truth and communication.
Where Can You Find Spectrolite?
Spectrolite mining locations are most commonly found in Finland, where it was first discovered in the 1940s. It is found in the eastern part of the country, in an area known as the Ylämaa region.
It is also possible to find spectrolite for sale online, although it is important to carefully research the seller and the quality of the stone before making a purchase.
Spectrolite is known for its beautiful, iridescent coloration, which ranges from blues and greens to purples and reds. The colors are caused by the presence of microscopic inclusions in the mineral, which diffract light and create a shimmering effect.
The intensity and range of colors in spectrolite can vary depending on the amount and type of inclusions present in the stone. Some specimen may also have a more muted or subdued coloration with a silvery or metallic sheen.
The texture can be smooth and even, or it may have a more rough and bumpy appearance, depending on how it was formed and the conditions it was subjected to over time. Overall, it is a unique and beautiful stone with a distinctive appearance.
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||6.5|
|Refractive Index||1.559 – 1.570|
Cost and Value
The cost and value of spectrolite depend on the quality and size of the stone and the rarity of the color.
Spectrolite is a variety of feldspar that is known for its exceptional play of color. The size, cut, clarity, and color of a spectrolite stone can all affect its value and appeal.
- Size: The size of a stone can impact its price and desirability. Larger stones are generally rarer and, therefore, more expensive due to the greater amount of material used in their production.
- Cut: The cut of a stone can also affect its value. Stones that have been cut and polished to showcase their natural beauty and play of color tend to be more expensive.
- Clarity: Spectrolite stones with fewer inclusions or blemishes are generally more valuable.
- Color: The play of color is caused by light refracting through the stone’s layers of feldspar, and it can vary widely in intensity and hue. Some shades of spectrolite, such as those with strong red and green flashes, are considered more desirable and, therefore, more valuable.
Overall, the value of this stone will depend on a combination of these factors and may also be influenced by demand and other market conditions.
The cost of a piece of spectrolite jewelry can range between $100 – $5000, depending on the quality and size of the stone.
The value of any gemstone is subjective, and what one person may consider a valuable piece of spectrolite may not be considered valuable by someone else.
How To Tell If Spectrolite Is Real?
You can determine if a piece of spectrolite is real or not in a few different ways.
- One way is to look at the color of the stone. Genuine spectrolite is known for its iridescent coloration, which is hard to replicate through artificial means.
- Furthermore, if the color of the stone is dull or muted, or if it is a uniform color without any shimmer or iridescence, it may not be real.
- Finally, you can also try to scratch the surface of the stone with a sharp object, such as a knife or a piece of glass. Real spectrolite is relatively soft and should scratch easily, whereas fakes may be harder and more resistant to scratching.
- You can also conduct the acetone test, in which you dip the stone in a solution of acetone. If it loses its color, it is not real.
Spectrolite is said to have a strong connection to the throat chakra, which is associated with communication, self-expression, and creativity.
The iridescent color is thought to resonate with the energy of this chakra and can help to open and balance this energy center. When the throat chakra is balanced, it can help to improve communication, promote self-expression, and enhance creativity.
Many people wear spectrolite jewelry or keep a piece of the stone near them to help balance their throat chakra and improve their communication skills. They believe it has many powerful abilities.
Meaning And Uses
Spectrolite is a unique and beautiful gemstone that is prized for its iridescent coloration.
- It is used in jewelry making and other decorative arts and is known for its shimmering colors that range from blues and greens to purples and reds.
- In addition to its beauty, spectrolite is also believed to have spiritual and healing properties and is used in crystal healing circles to help balance the chakras and promote overall well-being.
- Spectrolite is thought to have a strong connection to the throat chakra and is often used to help improve communication and self-expression in chakra healing.
- It is also believed to have calming and soothing properties and can help reduce fear and anxiety.
Overall, spectrolite is a versatile and excellent stone used in various ways to enhance spiritual and emotional well-being.
How To Clean Spectrolite Jewelry?
- To clean your jewelry, it is important to use gentle, non-abrasive cleaning methods to avoid damaging delicate stones.
- Mix a solution of warm water and mild dish soap, and use a soft cloth or brush to scrub the jewelry clean gently.
- Rinse the jewelry thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue, and then pat it dry with a soft cloth.
- It is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials to clean your jewelry, as these can damage the stone and make it more susceptible to cracking or chipping.
Which Gemstones Go Best With Spectrolite?
There are many gemstones that pair well with spectrolite. Some gemstones that go well with it include moonstone, lapis lazuli, aquamarine, emerald, and coral.
These gemstones have colors and energies that complement the iridescent color and can enhance each other’s spiritual and healing properties. In general, any gemstone that has a color that complements the iridescent color of spectrolite will pair well with it.
It is also important to consider the properties and energies of the different gemstones when selecting which ones to pair with spectrolite.
What Is Spectrolite Good For?
Spectrolite is used in jewelry making and other decorative arts and is known for its shimmering colors that range from blues and greens to purples and reds.
In addition to its beauty, it is also believed to have spiritual and healing properties and is used in crystal healing practices to help balance the chakras and promote overall well-being.
It is thought to have a strong connection to the throat chakra and is often used to help improve communication and self-expression.
It is also believed to have calming and soothing properties and can help reduce fear and anxiety. Overall, it is a versatile and powerful gemstone used in various ways to enhance spiritual and emotional well-being.